TP Shohin Japanese Black Pine Attempt #1

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
More pictures with a real camera. Cloudy today and camera in an amateur's hands :D

@Brian Van Fleet : Yes! Buds at the base of that branch circled in orange above.
DSC09662.jpg

The larger sacrifice branch circled in black above was reduced days ago. I hope I've given it the right treatment.
DSC09663.jpg DSC09667.jpg

Just more angles
DSC09664.jpg
DSC09665.jpg
DSC09666.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
More pictures with a real camera. Cloudy today and camera in an amateur's hands :D

@Brian Van Fleet : Yes! Buds at the base of that branch circled in orange above.
View attachment 126758
Great! Just remember these buds will be to the inside of the next trunk section, so you want some to pop about where your wire is crossing that branch, so protect them if they appear.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great! Just remember these buds will be to the inside of the next trunk section, so you want some to pop about where your wire is crossing that branch, so protect them if they appear.

Just more pictures. I noticed a bud or two in a better spot near the wire.
2017-01-01 13.52.09.jpg

Might need an angle adjustment in the future?
20170101_114006-1-1.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A little bummed yesterday. I found my pine to have a few light brownish needles. Upon closer inspection I found some greyish wilted needles here and there on the "future tree" portion. They flop down at the fascicle. The needles on the sacrifice branch wired up are green and healthy looking. I didn't have much time to really analyze the whole pine well. Perhaps tonight I will have some time. Should this one die, I'll either give up on JBP for a while or just train a butte load of them. Either way, it's important I figure out what's wrong to prevent the same thing in the future. Maybe pictures later; I decided to go watch some TV the rest of the day for a distraction.

Reaction score
The most important thing is that the buds are good (hopefully) and some needles remain turgid. Sounds like it is struggling. Don't give up on it. Give it your best care, give it time to recover. Even if the "future tree" portion ends up vanishing it might be that the tree gives you other possibilities. Do a close inspection, TV won't help.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The most important thing is that the buds are good (hopefully) and some needles remain turgid. Sounds like it is struggling. Don't give up on it. Give it your best care, give it time to recover. Even if the "future tree" portion ends up vanishing it might be that the tree gives you other possibilities. Do a close inspection, TV won't help.
You're right. I'm reviewing the pine resource by bonhe. I suspect there's root related problem. Will inspect again tonight. I guess I'll need to remove from the pot.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's a good chance that you might be over working it, taking too much off too fast. Take a deep breath, let the tree rest a bit. The branch cut back on the right side looks way o close to those small buds. Leave a longer stub, then cut it back after a year. This way there is less risk of loosing those little branches.

Reaction score
There's a good chance that you might be over working it, taking too much off too fast. Take a deep breath, let the tree rest a bit. The branch cut back on the right side looks way o close to those small buds. Leave a longer stub, then cut it back after a year. This way there is less risk of loosing those little branches.

Yes i think you are right. The big branch pulling sap to that place is gone. The smaller branches and buds are not able to draw enough sap. When the buds are able to survive the engine will start running late spring. Removing the tree from the pot now is removing the water pressure from below, resulting in less sap and possibly more dieback.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds very hopeful guys. Thanks!
Many of us learn by trial and error, quitting after a setback would make the experience worthless. Take what you have learned through your setbacks and move forward. This site is an exceptional resource especially if you take the advice and guidance from the masters. You may not always like how the advice is delivered, but it's usually sound none the less. In my 15 plus years I've lost numerous trees to a single act of carelessness, fortunately I'm learning from past mistakes. Before committing a single major act on my trees I think to myself, what is the potential downside, many times I have stopped myself from potentially killing my tree through this excersise in patience.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I too am guessing "overworking it". JBP, while everyone talks about how vigorous they are, the needles and little shoots and candles are remarkably fragile.

One of the first things Boon had to teach me was how to handle pines so as to not damage the needles. The first time I saw him reaching into the foliage of a dense pine using tweezers was a revelation! It was like a surgeon performing a delicate operation.

And, the only times to touch a pine during the year are: late winter if it needs repotting; decandling time (maybe some candle breaking for those really strong candles in the spring); and late fall after the needles have hardened off. Otherwise, no touching!

You may have worked your tree before the needles had hardened off.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks all for advice and encouragement. I'll chill out and wait. Let the tree rest a while.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If it's the small branches dying right below the chop it may be that you did the chop too close. I've done that with JBP and lost what I thought would be the new leader. I now leave a good inch or so between my chop and the nearest branch below that I don't want to lose. I then wait at least a few months or a year to take it down right up to the new leader. Not sure if this applies in your case but I had that thought when I saw how close your chop was.
Ian

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That doesn't even sound like a problem!

Sure don't look like a problem!

Chop is close though....

No sealant?

Sorce

the1only

Yamadori
Reaction score
I too am guessing "overworking it". JBP, while everyone talks about how vigorous they are, the needles and little shoots and candles are remarkably fragile.

One of the first things Boon had to teach me was how to handle pines so as to not damage the needles. The first time I saw him reaching into the foliage of a dense pine using tweezers was a revelation! It was like a surgeon performing a delicate operation.

And, the only times to touch a pine during the year are: late winter if it needs repotting; decandling time (maybe some candle breaking for those really strong candles in the spring); and late fall after the needles have hardened off. Otherwise, no touching!

You may have worked your tree before the needles had hardened off.

This is why I go to BN daily to read. So many experts here for advises.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
TP, can we see the pictures of what it looks like now? Might not be any issue at all.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I had some time this morning to take some pics with my phone. Hope the details show. Some needles discolored and not perky.

20170113_090834.jpg
20170113_090806.jpg

Top Bottom