Traditional or contemporary...that is the question!

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hey,

I have this interesting thuja currently potted in round glaze by Nick Lenz. Cool pot but not the best fit for the tree, but loved the tree and the pot so I bought it two years ago at the National show... I am torn between a more traditional arrangement or something more contemporary, maybe paying a little homage to Lenz in a way. Traditional or contemporary...that is the question!

1678462842422.png1678462879439.png

1678463043882.png

Attachments

• 1678463042985.png
    1678463042985.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 29

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Between these two I would go with contemporar, but that might be bias because I like that pot. I alway due a mock up by putting the tree behind the pot.

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Between these two I would go with contemporar, but that might be bias because I like that pot. I alway due a mock up by putting the tree behind the pot.
Thanks Rob. Unfortunately I don't own either of these pots yet, so I cant take that picture, but will to photoshop. im with you I do prefer the contemporary pot better. Trying to find a better unglazed crescent for a fairer comparison...

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could also see a square pot with curved sides. Something like this.C2EE18D3-3016-451C-A366-C4EAD5CCCBBF.png

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mirai currently has some killer Horst Heizelreiter pots that would probably go very well with this tree. I think I'm in the ballpark on dimensions with the links below. Horst is always unconventional and his pots wear like iron and look good doing it (I have had several of his pots for 25 years)....THey're pretty pricey these days, though and Mirai seems to have cornered their importation..

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the unconventionality of the tree. With the drop branch, I would look to do something with a down curve cutout area like your contemporary pot. I like the pot but not sure if it's too much for the tree, and would distract instead of pair if you know what I mean. But the shape of the down curve is something I would certainly look to place this tree in. Brian Soldano has made pots with that sort of idea, and does do custom work. @Soldano666 ?

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Mirai currently has some killer Horst Heizelreiter pots that would probably go very well with this tree. I think I'm in the ballpark on dimensions with the links below. Horst is always unconventional and his pots wear like iron and look good doing it (I have had several of his pots for 25 years)....THey're pretty pricey these days, though and Mirai seems to have cornered their importation..

I've been eyeing several of the soda fired free forms at Mirai, just need to decide if I want to spend 400-600 on a rather small pot. Thanks for the feedback!

Francesco84

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I like the unconventionality of the tree. With the drop branch, I would look to do something with a down curve cutout area like your contemporary pot. I like the pot but not sure if it's too much for the tree, and would distract instead of pair if you know what I mean. But the shape of the down curve is something I would certainly look to place this tree in. Brian Soldano has made pots with that sort of idea, and does do custom work. @Soldano666 ?
Need to look into Soldano, I think Superfly might carry some. I like you idea with that down curve.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BrightsideB is a member of this forum. You might ping him and see if he'd make you an unglazed version of that teal pot. I have a similar cascade in a tan glaze that would be better than the teal...but unglazed would be better yet.

20230218_151838.jpg

BrightsideB's pots are nice and heavy which is good for cascade.

I do like the idea of a dropped side pot for that tree :)

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey,

I have this interesting thuja currently potted in round glaze by Nick Lenz. Cool pot but not the best fit for the tree, but loved the tree and the pot so I bought it two years ago at the National show... I am torn between a more traditional arrangement or something more contemporary, maybe paying a little homage to Lenz in a way. Traditional or contemporary...that is the question!

View attachment 476132View attachment 476133

View attachment 476136
Thank you for sharing and considering one of my pots for your tree!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@BrightsideB is a member of this forum. You might ping him and see if he'd make you an unglazed version of that teal pot. I have a similar cascade in a tan glaze that would be better than the teal...but unglazed would be better yet.

View attachment 476212

BrightsideB's pots are nice and heavy which is good for cascade.

I do like the idea of a dropped side pot for that tree :)
I am going to be trying out some dark red and black clay this week. Will be interesting.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I don't think @Soldano666 has been around for awhile. I have quite a few of his pots, including a torn lip one. He does very nice work.

Top Bottom