Training flats

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Yes...I have used these - they work very well. You will want to take some pressure treated lumber and screw thru the bottom of the flat into the lumber. It has to sit raised above the surface it will sit on. Excellent drainage and aeration...Tom

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes...I have used these - they work very well. You will want to take some pressure treated lumber and screw thru the bottom of the flat into the lumber. It has to sit raised above the surface it will sit on. Excellent drainage and aeration...Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. I have found a source for these that is much cheaper and if you would like the info send me a PM and I can forward it to you.

jeff

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a cheaper source for these too in case you are interested.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Anderson deep propagation trays

They are marketed as propagation trays, but work great for developing nebari and roots.

Some variations on the strategy:
1. Line the bottom of the tray with "weed barrier".
2. No lining. We find this gives us the best root development (see the attached pictures). Caution: the roots will grow vigorously into the ground if you leave the tray on the ground. Put down some cover or weed barrier.
3. Line the bottom of the tray with newspaper. This provides a temporary barrier.
4. Put your tree on a tile, and then in the tray.

Have fun,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 71
Top Bottom