Transferring Bonsai to windy 5th floor porch

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Going to be transferring my trees from this (which has been great, I know nothing competes with outside) to a very windy, west facing 5th floor balcony. There's times where wings are 25-35 mph consistently for 20+ hours straight. There's ways to forecast it, on those days would it be ok to bring inside then when normalcy resumes bring back? Last summer any flowers/plants I had were completely defoliated, not doing that with my bonsai trees. No wind frame would do unless completely enclosed.

Attachments

• PXL_20210315_085655246.jpg
    PXL_20210315_085655246.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 53

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A lot depends on the humidity of the wind. If it is windy and humid, the trees will typically undergo less stress. And conifers will do much better than deciduous. Any flowers will be the first to go. Desert plants probably won't be impacted.

Living in Southern California, we had naturally occurring Santa Ana winds that would spin up when there was high pressure over the desert. In addition to being hot, they were extremely dry. My deciduous, with the exception of Chinese elms, would get hammered, but my junipers and pines wouldn't miss a beat. In answer to your question, bringing your trees indoors for a day or two will not negatively impact them, particularly if you have a bright window, or supplemental artificial lighting.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I kept my plants in a third floor situation similar, it was like a pizza oven in the late afternoon.

If you can be sure to water, and don't keep sis trees, you'll be alright.

Extra Transpiration, extra water.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
when were you proposing to do this?
Now or later in the season when it gets warmer?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as foliage goes, get tough trees

I myself am on a 4th floor balcony.

Overpotting will help to
1) retain more moisture and
2) add some weight so the wind and or cat doesn’t knock them off as easily

Some extra tips
Don’t tell anyone that you keep drip trays under your pots to save water
And don’t admit to owning a jade tree - some guys get weird about having them as bonsai

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
when were you proposing to do this?
Now or later in the season when it gets warmer?
Definitely after last frost is gone. Have a lot of ficus, an elm, desert rose etc. Just worried the wind will really damage the plants.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A lot depends on the humidity of the wind. If it is windy and humid, the trees will typically undergo less stress. And conifers will do much better than deciduous. Any flowers will be the first to go. Desert plants probably won't be impacted.

Living in Southern California, we had naturally occurring Santa Ana winds that would spin up when there was high pressure over the desert. In addition to being hot, they were extremely dry. My deciduous, with the exception of Chinese elms, would get hammered, but my junipers and pines wouldn't miss a beat. In answer to your question, bringing your trees indoors for a day or two will not negatively impact them, particularly if you have a bright window, or supplemental artificial lighting.
Summers here are gross bro, imo I sweat more here than Florida so it's grossly humid.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Overpotting will help to

Some extra tips
And don’t admit to owning a jade tree - some guys get weird about having them as bonsai
Haha I'm 6'5" 265 ex Marine and I have a jade and a portulacaria afra, I'm good lol. Was planning to tie them all down.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there some way to set up a wind break for those days when its that windy? Or put them on a low bench against the wall where there should be less wind?

I am on Long Island and we get the after noon south west breeze most days in the summer that can blow 15-20 mph but usually dies down at sunset.
I can recall days where it blew 25-30 unless it was a storm.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is there some way to set up a wind break for those days when its that windy? Or put them on a low bench against the wall where there should be less wind?

I am on Long Island and we get the after noon south west breeze most days in the summer that can blow 15-20 mph but usually dies down at sunset.
I can recall days where it blew 25-30 unless it was a storm.
Only way is if I buy a portable greenhouse. The wind blows straight at the balcony sometimes to the point it's a screeching whistle. There's ways to look up the wind forecast so I could just move to be safe but I plan on tying them all down on a table, just so much work.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only way is if I buy a portable greenhouse. The wind blows straight at the balcony sometimes to the point it's a screeching whistle. There's ways to look up the wind forecast so I could just move to be safe but I plan on tying them all down on a table, just so much work.
A portable green house will get VERY hot on a west facing balcony in the summer

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Depending on what type of railing you’re going to have, you might consider looking into installing some windbreak cloth/netting. I used to live in a 17th floor condo in FL and installed one around my balconies. Made a huge difference for the trees and the breeze was subtle at your feet when you might have a stiff breeze just above them.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Depending on what type of railing you’re going to have, you might consider looking into installing some windbreak cloth/netting. I used to live in a 17th floor condo in FL and installed one around my balconies. Made a huge difference for the trees and the breeze was subtle at your feet when you might have a stiff breeze just above them.
That's my railing. I plan on putting them all on a table and it'd be a little less than the top of the railing. I honestly am just going to check the wind forecast everyday and if it gets windy pull them inside. Hypothetically if there's really bad wind and it defoliated most of a tree, say 70%, what can I expect after?

Attachments

• PXL_20210319_222527923.jpg
    PXL_20210319_222527923.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 23

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Overpotting will help to

Some extra tips
So what’s your opinion on tropical trees as bonsai,?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last summer any flowers/plants I had were completely defoliated, not doing that with my bonsai trees.

Flowers and Plants are in a different situation 5 stories up.

Tree leaves are used to it.

I reckon you ought'nt worry about it...at all!

Sorce

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Flowers and Plants are in a different situation 5 stories up.

Tree leaves are used to it.

I reckon you ought'nt worry about it...at all!

Sorce
I've started moving stuff outside and anytime the gusts are above 30 mph I bring in. Pain in the tush but so far so good.

Top Bottom