Translucent greenhouse panels.....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking to use some translucent roof panels on the shed I just built and would like some advise on what type to use. Lowes has 3 different kinds with prices ranging from $20 a sheet to $30 a sheet. All of those seem real thin and made from some kind of plastic, they don't carry any made from fiberglass. The shed is pretty small with a surface size of 10' X 12'. Any advice.....? Below is a pic of the shed with just a tarp on it now.

IMG_2496.JPG

Brian

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Go to a place like Home Depot or a Menards and pick up stock polycarbonate corrugated panels--in either clear or opaque. Lasts longer than fiber glass.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I used single layer corrugated clear plastic panels from Lowes to build one about 7-8 years ago. It was used for the roof, sides... Everything. It is basically 100% clear! super strong as long as it is reinforced decently... Mine had a TREE fall on it last year and I don't see a crack in it. I would NEVER waste my money on $100+ per sheet double layered stuff. You just don't need it. If you are trying to insulate a sun room on your House, Maybe... But for a little clear roof on a leaning shed beside your man cave/ shed? Nahh man, get the corrugated clear plastic from Lowes/ Home Depot. It will let through the light you need and is plenty PLENTY strong with the reinforcement you have in place.

Last edited:

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That polycarbonate must be some amazing stuff.....I have read good reviews and with Eric's recommendation after 8 years of use that is what I will use. I over did it with the framing of the lean-to but the wood was free so I built it well.

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update...The roof is on....It was much easier than I expected it be.

roof%2B005.jpg

roof%2B009.jpg

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you....I enjoy making and building stuff...I guess that's what draws me to bonsai instead of just growing flowers.

Brian

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Update...The roof is on....It was much easier than I expected it be.

roof%2B005.jpg

roof%2B009.jpg

Brian

They do look great! Do they make a good weather seal? Do they provide a good amount of heat and how well does it hold it?
I'm building a greenhouse as well and am looking for roofing options.

IMG_20140920_170011[1].jpg

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So far they have held up well and don't leak...I did use the closure strips as you can see from the pics. I'm not sure on how well they will hold heat, I still don't have the side on my shed yet.

I bought these at Home Depot , they have 2 grades and I got the more expensive ones....I figured I didn't want to have to replace them anytime soon.

Nice build you have going there.....Post some pics when you are finished.

Brian

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just remember LittleJoe, that if you are using it for winter storage, you don't want heat and sun. Better to do a solid roof and opaque material for sides.

Looking good Wee!

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Just remember LittleJoe, that if you are using it for winter storage, you don't want heat and sun. Better to do a solid roof and opaque material for sides.

Looking good Wee!

Hoping it's going to be a bit of both Judy. It's quite large (140 sqft of floor space). I may just wall the back off and have both. I can always use my unheated garage as cold storage.

Sorry for the hijack Wee :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom