Transplant Shock or Fungus?

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Silver Birch & Weeping Willow. Rescued trees from trash. The soil was too compact and stayed wet too long so I had to change their soil at this time of the year unfortunatelly. I can understand leaves are getting scorchy from transplant but those dots started to spread after i changed their pots. I wonder if they are fungus or just transplant shock? Any idea?

Attachments

• 487DBBF5-9EFD-42C8-B336-4869CA99FE5B.jpeg
    487DBBF5-9EFD-42C8-B336-4869CA99FE5B.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 19
  • D2C6038B-0DAC-4D12-AC6C-9BDE5E2B0F9C.jpeg
    D2C6038B-0DAC-4D12-AC6C-9BDE5E2B0F9C.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 5030D12F-3FD3-48E0-8E07-49D2874BE2BC.jpeg
    5030D12F-3FD3-48E0-8E07-49D2874BE2BC.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 90BF4954-9235-470F-814B-A277AB0CA374.jpeg
    90BF4954-9235-470F-814B-A277AB0CA374.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 18
  • C8CF9B13-F4D9-423B-93CC-7739FA5BDF92.jpeg
    C8CF9B13-F4D9-423B-93CC-7739FA5BDF92.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 15
  • B786B964-3D9A-45C3-A04A-883FD4FCF043.jpeg
    B786B964-3D9A-45C3-A04A-883FD4FCF043.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 20

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The little black dots on the birch do look like it could be a fungus.

The ficus could be fungus as a result of the very wet pot or just that its freaking out because of the wet conditions.
They like moisture but not to be soaking wet.

I dont think what you are seeing is a result of the repotting but a conditions caused by the overly wet conditions prior.
The wet conditions probably stressed and weakened them both.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The little black dots on the birch do look like it could be a fungus.

The ficus could be fungus as a result of the very wet pot or just that its freaking out because of the wet conditions.
They like moisture but not to be soaking wet.

I dont think what you are seeing is a result of the repotting but a conditions caused by the overly wet conditions prior.
The wet conditions probably stressed and weakened them both.
Im not sure tbh, everything was ok before i repot them. So what do you suggest about it? How can i be sure about whether its fungus or not? If it's fungus should i remove the related leaves and do a hydrogen peroxide treatment? If it's not fungus should i leave them be?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do you mean by the "hydrogen peroxide treatment"? Soaking the roots wont help the leaves.
You could spray the birch with a fungus treatment. I would not remove the leaves on the birch at this point.

For the fucus, I would remove the yellow leaves and let it recover. If it continues to be a problem in a couple of weeks then treat it as well.
Fucus can recover and regrow leaves pretty easy which is why I suggest removing the leaves on that tree.

With both, watch the watering and water when they need it (ie when the soil is almost dry), not on a strict schedule.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What do you mean by the "hydrogen peroxide treatment"? Soaking the roots wont help the leaves.
You could spray the birch with a fungus treatment. I would not remove the leaves on the birch at this point.

For the fucus, I would remove the yellow leaves and let it recover. If it continues to be a problem in a couple of weeks then treat it as well.
Fucus can recover and regrow leaves pretty easy which is why I suggest removing the leaves on that tree.

With both, watch the watering and water when they need it (ie when the soil is almost dry), not on a strict schedule.
I mean i was talking about spraying the foliage with hydrogen peroxide solution since it's been using in fungus treatment. Btw it's not a ficus it's weeping willow. Probably you'll want to say a different treatment for it (i guess?)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We have a fungus in the US called a Tar spot fungus. This looks similiar. Both birch and willlow can handle moist soil.

Using Hydrogen peroxide spray as proposed might help. Up to 2 TBSP/L. Cleaning up the dead leaves asap, including the on the soil surface will help too.

good luck!
cheers
DSD sends

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We have a fungus in the US called a Tar spot fungus. This looks similiar. Both birch and willlow can handle moist soil.

Using Hydrogen peroxide spray as proposed might help. Up to 2 TBSP/L. Cleaning up the dead leaves asap, including the on the soil surface will help too.

good luck!
cheers
DSD sends
Do you think i should remove the leaves with spots on them as well?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I mean i was talking about spraying the foliage with hydrogen peroxide solution since it's been using in fungus treatment. Btw it's not a ficus it's weeping willow. Probably you'll want to say a different treatment for it (i guess?)

sorry I thought you said it was a ficus.
Id follow Deep Sea's advice

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a situational call. If you feel there is enough photosynthetic area remaining on the unspotted leaves to get the trees over the hump to health, then remove these. Yet if it’s plus or minus, leave them, at least the less affected.

You might want to put twist ties and take photos on multiple leaves you treat. Then come back over time and take later photos to see how things went.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom