Transplanted JRP, Candle Pruning to Reduce Stress?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just dug my first Japanese Red Pine, a nursery field grown tree with a good root ball of feeder roots.

What is the consensus on reducing stress and energy loss as it adjusts to life in a pot?

I already cut off a 3ft leader, but it didn't have many needles relative to the lower mass of branches. I plan on keep it in morning sun with afternoon shade for the next few weeks. The temps are expected to be highs 60-70F with lows ~50F for the next several weeks (well actually, until next Dec., as this is coastal So Cal :)

The branches have multiple strong candles, which will not be part of the final design. Should I eliminate all but 2 candles per branch so it doesn't use up so much energy pushing new needles or allow the tree to 'decide' what to keep? I am going to clean out the dead needles and maybe thin a few needles just to allow more light to the interior. But I would like to keep as much foliage as possible to stimulate root growth.

IMG_2378 - Copy.jpg IMG_2387_Copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 0

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You answered your own question. Leave as much foliage on to stimulate root growth. Growing tips produce auxin. Auxin stimulates root growth.

Remove tips, that will reduce auxin. Which will retard root growth.

The sooner you get it in full sun, the better. Sun warms the soil. Roots like to grow in warm soil. Cold soil? Not so much.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for the response. It's nice to be able to so easily access the wealth of knowledge and experience in this community!

At the risk of answering another question that I think I know the answer to: Would you leave the sacrifice leader on this JBP to stimulate root growth or could I remove it to get a jump on growing the next leader and healing the scar? It was dug at the same time as the above JRP and has also has a good rootball.

IMG_2393_edit.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave it. The more foliage the more to fuel root growth.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Healthy Pines!
... ...Should I eliminate all but 2 candles per branch so it doesn't use up so much energy pushing new needles or allow the tree to 'decide' what to keep?
Even if your question has been already answered, let me say that the tree will definitely do what it takes to overcome stress. It will keep so much as it can sustain. So, no need for you to force the tree's "decision" just make sure it has ample/abundant green for stimulus, as said already.

Top Bottom