Transplanting water cutting to soil

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Was messing around with my tiger bark ficus and decided to try and root a clipping. Had it in a shot glass wrapped in foil for about 5 weeks. Moved it to this glass for some more room.

How long do the roots need to be before I transplant this into a small pot? I would say these ones about 1inch give or take a little.
Also, is there a recommendation for soil type for cuttings?

Attachments

• 09303E48-CB52-48FA-88D8-3D5ACD97215C.jpeg
    09303E48-CB52-48FA-88D8-3D5ACD97215C.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 31

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
-5 weeks ;)

Most ficus will root pretty easily, and you could have stuck it in some small bonsai soil (or perlite, etc.) right away. It does help to keep the humidity up though, so I normally do cuttings in a tray with a dome.

To actually answer your question, you can do it now if you want. My mix is normally just pumice and DE most of the time; others can chime in with theirs.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think early transfer to soil is better so do it soon. New roots are very brittle. The longer they are the more likely to snap off just under their own weight then holding the cutting still while adding extra soil is the next chance to break roots.

Plant rooted cuttings into your usual growing mix - it is now a plant with roots same as all other plants with roots. Cuttings without roots is another ball game completely and requires special propagating mix.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never been a fan of propagating in water because it seems too easy to disturb delicate new roots when transplanting into a medium. I like being able to see roots but would rather not risk breaking them. Normally I just use some combination of pumice, DE, sphagnum moss, pro mix, sand or whatever I have on hand when I take cuttings.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Most species will callous in just water... but only certain ones DON’T resist the actual “sending” of roots...

I’ve personally found water-propagation to be more trouble than it’s worth... but if your GOING to do it.. I recommend a tray setup.. with “slots” to hold cuttings... and an aquarium pump to oxidize the water.. but even then.... substrate has always worked better for me.

Rooted cuttings in water will “slouch” for 4-5 days after transplanting into substrate... if they don’t bounce... they don’t bounce.

🤓

Top Bottom