Trash elms(Chinese Elms)

Reaction score
Trash elm is a species you may not have heard of, but they are super invasive and everywhere in the front range cities. Co-worker called and said they were digging these up this morning to make room for garden. Went over to help and threw the remains into pots. If some survive maybe carving practice. :)

Some of these are root cuttings, elms grow so oddly. Apologies for potato quality photo. I think I got about 20 total, and another bunch I didn't take. Largest in the center is about 6.5 inch base if I can get it to root and do some carvey things to it. I'll add individual photos of higher quality of those that survive through the spring.

Attachments

• Trash Elms.JPG
    Trash Elms.JPG
    609.6 KB · Views: 176

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We have them all over here in Utah as well, and I have collected one I am working on and plan to get more. I saw a very nice specimen in a forest style grown from many seeds at as local club show.
My dad used to call them Chinese elm also but I think they are actually Siberian elm or Ulmus pumila.
A lot of members of this forum seem to have true Chinese elms be and seem to regard them highly. I hope to get one myself

Reaction score
We have them all over here in Utah as well, and I have collected one I am working on and plan to get more. I saw a very nice specimen in a forest style grown from many seeds at as local club show.
My dad used to call them Chinese elm also but I think they are actually Siberian elm or Ulmus pumila.
A lot of members of this forum seem to have true Chinese elms be and seem to regard them highly. I hope to get one myself

They are indeed Chinese elms. Colorado Springs used to have a ton of Siberians but most of them died during the same year, while back.

They replanted with a bunch of Chinese elms and now they've invaded all over the city.

It's Colorado....so personally I'd rather get lots of sweet RMJs or ponderosas, etc.

But I have a near infinite supply of these as well. =p

Reaction score
I think they've are great too, but most homeowners regard them as weeds/annoyance.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We have the same problem with Chinese privet here. I killed a bunch of what would have been nice bonsai a few years ago cleaning out a patch in my back yard. Some trunks were as big as my calf and I had to go at them with a chainsaw. Now I have the word out with all the master gardners in the area to let me know if they need any of these guys removed. I’ve never seen a Chinese elm out here. My son lives in Boulder, wonder if there are any Chinese elms up there?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Funny....I like that description....... “potato quality” photo. Good description.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I dont know about the Springs, but at least in Denver and Boulder virtually all the elms you'll find are Siberian

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are indeed Chinese elms. Colorado Springs used to have a ton of Siberians but most of them died during the same year, while back.

They replanted with a bunch of Chinese elms and now they've invaded all over the city.

It's Colorado....so personally I'd rather get lots of sweet RMJs or ponderosas, etc.

But I have a near infinite supply of these as well. =p
Pinion pine, RMJ and Utah juniper are all over place here and I can collect lots of them. The BLM is chaining large areas of them. If you really have an infinite supply of Ulmus parvifolia I would love to work out a swap.

Reaction score
We have the same problem with Chinese privet here. I killed a bunch of what would have been nice bonsai a few years ago cleaning out a patch in my back yard. Some trunks were as big as my calf and I had to go at them with a chainsaw. Now I have the word out with all the master gardners in the area to let me know if they need any of these guys removed. I’ve never seen a Chinese elm out here. My son lives in Boulder, wonder if there are any Chinese elms up there?
Most definitely. Have seen the back while visting brother in law.

Reaction score
Pinion pine, RMJ and Utah juniper are all over place here and I can collect lots of them. The BLM is chaining large areas of them. If you really have an infinite supply of Ulmus parvifolia I would love to work out a swap.

Let's make a weekend of it.

Reaction score
I dont know about the Springs, but at least in Denver and Boulder virtually all the elms you'll find are Siberian

Now I'm not sure on the ones I collected, but when I looked at the differences in an old arborists paper I'd swear I've seen both species around town.
Now I've got no clue. Thanks! lol

Reaction score
Funny....I like that description....... “potato quality” photo. Good description.
It comes from video game land. If you're a potato, you're pretty bad.

You might say I'm a potato regarding my abilities with bonsai right now....

POTATO!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bark is a good indicator. U. parvifolia has usually smooth or scaly bark (except for cork varieties). U. pumila (Siberian elm) has deep ridges in its bark. What complucates everything is that both are referred to as "Chinese elm" in vernacular. But U. parvifolia is also known as lacebark elm for a reason!

Reaction score
Bark is a good indicator. U. parvifolia has usually smooth or scaly bark (except for cork varieties). U. pumila (Siberian elm) has deep ridges in its bark. What complucates everything is that both are referred to as "Chinese elm" in vernacular. But U. parvifolia is also known as lacebark elm for a reason!
Got it. I'm fairly certain I've seen both here.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Siberian Elms are also more likely be invasive in the mountain west, since they handle drought and heat and cold a lot better than Chinese elm. The reason they are called Ulmus pumila which means dwarf elm, is that they were found growing in a stunted form close to the Gobi desert. That sort of climate is similar to what you have in the mountain west. Chinese elms are weed trees in more southern, wetter states. I see them growing in the sidewalks here in Georgia.

Top Bottom