Traveling for work and had an unexpected day off for some impromptu collecting

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got the go ahead to take what I wanted from a new construction site with some unexpected free time on the road!

Pinus Virginiana (right)
Juniperus Virginiana (middle)
What I’m guessing is a gnarly Acer Negundo (Left)

Hoping the Acer survives, looks like it’s got fight in it.

Potted in orchid mix from the Lowe’s across the street to keep roots damp and hopefully undamaged until I drive back to MI Tuesday and can get them in some good stuff.

Would these be ok in my cold frame in MI until temps rise a little or should I keep them inside until Spring and then move them out to stay?
4507A25B-7641-4FB4-ACDE-BA2986FC6ACC.jpeg

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Close-up’s of the Acer Negundo, beautiful bark and dead wood, movement isn’t terrible and roots have some nice flare, could be a cool piece in a few (probably many) years 1B980E50-8203-4D0B-9905-4A9435182BB2.jpeg887E9C28-38A7-4970-8A5D-BEF8F6F494C8.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't get too attached to the acer. Looks like it had been pushing leaves when you dug it up. That can complicate recovery, or kill the tree outright. These should be outside in the shade if temperatures are above 32.

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wouldn't get too attached to the acer. Looks like it had been pushing leaves when you dug it up. That can complicate recovery, or kill the tree outright. These should be outside in the shade if temperatures are above 32.
I figured the Acer probably won’t because of the horrible timing, tree was getting cleared anyway so didn’t feel bad about it, small chance to live is better than 0!

We’ve got daytime temps above 32 so will probably go straight to the cold frame. Thanks!

Top Bottom