Tread craft/ orange tree?

Antero

Seed
Reaction score
Did anyone tried tread craft sitrus tree?

Plans is to put to young sitrus seedlings through two separate holes in a trunk and keep rootstock side eventually.

I will also gonna plant it in big container because trunk is still too narrow.

In a picture is my plan: new planting angle, tread crafts and new leader. I will chop trunk like this after long time in a big container.

Attachments

• 7C98B97A-487D-4213-9A3D-A034F6616DE6.jpeg
    7C98B97A-487D-4213-9A3D-A034F6616DE6.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 23
  • C56852E2-77B1-496B-A359-F25EA2CA5484.jpeg
    C56852E2-77B1-496B-A359-F25EA2CA5484.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 22
  • CA3EA0AA-466B-4936-ACBB-529D911E7BFE.jpeg
    CA3EA0AA-466B-4936-ACBB-529D911E7BFE.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 23

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your idea should work☺️. Be sure grown together before separating from unneeded roots.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have tried it but I ran into the wound closing issue on my receiving plant; instead of healing the wound, it just died around the edges forming no callus at all.
After about a year, it considered it a failed thread graft.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have tried it but I ran into the wound closing issue on my receiving plant; instead of healing the wound, it just died around the edges forming no callus at all.
After about a year, it considered it a failed thread graft.
Do you think same thing possibly to happen to a meyer lemon?

Antero

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses!
Seems that orange is not so easy to graft. Earlier I tried to make approach grafting with same tree. It was not succesful after one year so I took it out.
Another option would be "air layer" some roots from that point. What you think?
Also my seedlings are Citrus × meyeri. So those might have little bit differrent skin..

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Citrus are routinely grafted so actual grafting is not the problem here.
One of the issues will be thread grafting because all leaves will need to be removed in order to thread a shoot through a small hole. Most citrus don't like to be defoliated so that will delay healing I should think.
Original post is hard to interpret but I guess the plan is to add more roots to the tree?? Is the aim exposed roots as shown in pic 1 or something else? Layering will give roots up there but may kill off many of the other lower roots.

Despite the failed earlier attempt I still think that approach graft is the best method to achieve this graft. Citrus are not easy so you may need to persist to get a good result.

Antero

Seed
Reaction score
Citrus are routinely grafted so actual grafting is not the problem here.
One of the issues will be thread grafting because all leaves will need to be removed in order to thread a shoot through a small hole. Most citrus don't like to be defoliated so that will delay healing I should think.
Original post is hard to interpret but I guess the plan is to add more roots to the tree?? Is the aim exposed roots as shown in pic 1 or something else? Layering will give roots up there but may kill off many of the other lower roots.

Despite the failed earlier attempt I still think that approach graft is the best method to achieve this graft. Citrus are not easy so you may need to persist to get a good result.
Sorry my bad english. Original plan is to add more roots and aim is exposed roots like in pic 1.
But I am still thinking what to do. Another option is air layer and make new normal radial root system.
Anyway today I did repotted it to bigger container and I took couple cuttings from it. If those cuttings start to grow and make roots I can use those to make thread grafting...

Top Bottom