Treating Fungal Leaf Spots

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Several of my Acer Rubrum have developed these leaf spots. I am assuming its a fungus of some sort. It doesnt look like the maple tar spot that ive seen pictures of. Any other thoughts and should I be concerned.

I didnt start any sort of dormant spraying this spring but plan on following Walter Pall's plan on using diluted lime sulfur end of winter. Wondering if I can do anything this year. Thoughts?

20190524_201204.jpg

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a leaf blotch or leaf spot. Different from tar spot, could be it. I agree with what’s above remove the infected leaves cooper spray or mancozeb could help if it’s truly fungle

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take a look at "frog-eye" fungus. Give a few light fungicide treatments just to be safe. More common on apples, any around your area?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Take a look at "frog-eye" fungus. Give a few light fungicide treatments just to be safe. More common on apples, any around your area?

I have a thicket of crabapples within a few yards of my trees. Do you agree with the copper spray or mancozeb as a treatment?

Pinpoint in the center looks like bug bite. Fungus is probably secondary opportunistic infection. I'd just remove the affected leaves, dispose of them away from your trees.

Perfect. Thanks. Ill do that. There are a few leaves with the same pattern. Ill toss the leaves in my burn pile then.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@LanceMac10, id rather invest learning and experience into material not worth much now, so that I know what to do on trees worth more and with more value to me.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More along the lines of having a sick tree around whatever else you might have.

Crab apples are fungus/bug magnets so be careful placing any plant material near them, particularly Junipers.

Early spring is the best time to spray but now is fine. Just a few sprays on the foliage should do it. Good luck!!:cool::cool:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, i have two junipers. One showed some rust early this season but it subsided after hitting with daconil. The other hasnt had any rust.

I honestly dont care much for the junipers, so I probably wont keep them if they keep having fungal problems. I do like the crabapples though.

Im going to try the copper spray. We dont have mancozeb here at work but I may order some to have around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom