Tree #2, 90% sure its a juniper, any ideas on which?

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Heres the tree i picked up from the roadside vendor. All ive done is pinched the growth growing directly down and wired the tree to spreead out the foliage.

Attachments

• 017jp.jpg
    017jp.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 001pj.jpg
    001pj.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 009jp.jpg
    009jp.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 008jp.jpg
    008jp.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 006jp.jpg
    006jp.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 59

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
some more pics. I added a clump of moss. also theres what appears to be runners (pic#4) should i keep them or cut them. also what do you guys think of the wiring. i spread out the foilial pad, it was really clustered and compact when i got it.

Attachments

• 014jp.jpg
    014jp.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 005jp.jpg
    005jp.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 004jp.jpg
    004jp.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 002pj.jpg
    002pj.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 44

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The crown is pretty much completely flat on the tree- kind of odd looking. You normally see an apex that is a little higher than the rest of the foliage.

The moss seems too large for the planting.

This looks like a Chinese/ Bunjin style planting to me.

What is that little green bottle sticking up out of the soil?

Looks like a young tree to me... I would say to let the runners go, grow it out some. In a year or two, plant it at a different angle to get some better movement.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
The crown is pretty much completely flat on the tree- kind of odd looking. You normally see an apex that is a little higher than the rest of the foliage.

The moss seems too large for the planting.

This looks like a Chinese/ Bunjin style planting to me.

What is that little green bottle sticking up out of the soil?

Looks like a young tree to me... I would say to let the runners go, grow it out some. In a year or two, plant it at a different angle to get some better movement.

i appreciate your comments, as far as the crown is concerned thats kind of the look i want for right now. ultimatly i want on large pad for the canopy, I have a vision. Ill try and get a virt up today.

The little green bottle sticking out is "green green" some fertilizer the guy i got the trees from stuck in when i bought them.

Ill take the advice on the runners and elimante them. thanks again for the help

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If, by runners, you mean the small flat plant growing near the edge of the pot, I think that is a weed and I would pull it. It is just competing with the roots of the tree for water and nutrients.
So now that you have wired it in a style that is something you like, let it rest for most of the spring and summer. Concentrate on keeping it healthy and vigorous.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
If, by runners, you mean the small flat plant growing near the edge of the pot, I think that is a weed and I would pull it. It is just competing with the roots of the tree for water and nutrients.
So now that you have wired it in a style that is something you like, let it rest for most of the spring and summer. Concentrate on keeping it healthy and vigorous.

Will do. I've come up with a 5yr plan for this tree. I'm just going to leave it alone until next spring when it's ready for a repot, maybe some additional wiring this fall to keep shape.

Thanks for the tip on my misidentified "runners" they were some short of added plant, and have since been removed.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
first attempt at making a virtual.

Heres the virtuals of the tree and the direction i would like to take it. Is this a particular type of styling. Its kind of just the way i want it to look without conforming to a particular style.

Attachments

• 005jpUD.jpg
    005jpUD.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 014jpUD.jpg
    014jpUD.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 45

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
In California we call this "pizza style".

I feel as if I may have wound up at the bottom of some bonsai joke. Would you recommend styling some other way. Maybe working one of the main 3 branches into an apex and turn it into an informal upright or a cascade of some sort? I'm self/internet taught. The closest bonsai nursery/club is 3-4 hours away, so I'm trying to get all the help I can. This site and you guys have been tremendously helpful. Anyways, I really don't want to mess with the tree too much this season, but am leaving all my options open for next spring when I repot this guy. So any opinions/advice would be awesome.

Top Bottom