Tree buds

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Couple of my trees have a large amount of buds from late summer on their branches. I assume that they are dead / will not survive through winter. If that is true, should i remove them or should i let them be, and also, please correct me if i am completely wrong and the buds may survive?
Thanks!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,
I would let them be and check again in spring, if the wont pop out you can remove them than.
btw, how do you know they are dead? Give them good winter protection and tree will be fine, those buds will open up in spring :)

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dont't know. That's why i am here. :) Still learning about trees and stuff, so any input is really helpful.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dont warry we all started in pretty much same spot :)
So the way it works - during growing season, tree produce the buds for next year spring, in spring they get opened up and grow new branches etc
I wouldnt touch them untill next spring, you can do some structural pruning/wiring during the winter but thats all.
Do you have a photo of the tree ?

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the info.
Don't have any pics at hand, but i will provide them.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for the info.
Don't have any pics at hand, but i will provide them.
Hello Krone. No help here but,
just wanted to say that I’m glad u asked this question as this is my first year really paying much attention to plants!
I was curious/concerned as to all the new buds (and even a little flower!) popping on my miss Kim lilacs this fall!
Here’s a pic from early October.

Attachments

• 76FBD0E2-69E1-4E49-8A3C-CE9D274D7561.jpeg
    76FBD0E2-69E1-4E49-8A3C-CE9D274D7561.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 34

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dont warry guys, the plants will be ok by spring,
Please take consideration about hardiness zone, if plants are not suitable for your winter, you would have to protect them some way to prev ent damage.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need to describe the buds' surrounding's better. If you have a branch with buds that were last spring's buds that did not expand last spring, they are dead, cut them off. If they are buds on a branch that had leaves on it this year that have fallen off and just now that's all that's left, that's what's supposed to be there. New buds for next spring were created in the axil of each leaf stem. An axil is where a leaf stem is joined to the twig. There is usually a leaf scar from where the old petiole wrapped around the stem with a bud in or very close to that scar. A dead twig is almost always a slightly different color or appearance than a live twig, it being dry and often shrunken compared to live twigs.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, species' names.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
[/QUOTE]
Dont warry guys, the plants will be ok.

Just a bit I lifted online about late budding.

-Plants that bloom in early spring usually produce their flower buds the year before. The buds over-winter on the previous year's growth and open in spring. If you prune these spring bloomers in fall or winter you'll remove the flower buds and won't have flowers that year.

-some plants set their flower buds in the summer before their normal spring bloom time. Unusual or stressful weather conditions can cause some of the flower buds to open in fall. The plants will be fine, but will just have a few fewer blossoms in spring. One October I came upon a Callery pear in full bloom.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello Krone. No help here but,
just wanted to say that I’m glad u asked this question as this is my first year really paying much attention to plants!
I was curious/concerned as to all the new buds (and even a little flower!) popping on my miss Kim lilacs this fall!
No problemo. That just shows that Miss Kim has completed all the late summer maturation of buds and is ready, willing and able to go for next spring. A few buds that are showing color will perish, but no big loss!

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The first 3 images are from Acer ginnala (has already lost all of the foliage), the second 3 images are from Carpinus betulus (still has the most of the foliage on it).
Hope that the pics are clear enough.

20191105_194701.jpg20191105_194725.jpg20191105_194801.jpg 20191105_195052.jpg20191105_195105.jpg20191105_195119.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The first 3 images are from Acer ginnala (has already lost all of the foliage), the second 3 images are from Carpinus betulus (still has the most of the foliage on it).
Hope that the pics are clear enough.

View attachment 269913View attachment 269914View attachment 269915 View attachment 269916View attachment 269917View attachment 269918

The Acer looks just like most of mine at the beginning of winter. They will stay small like that and as you get closer to spring time they will start swelling and growing larger. The Carpinus will do the same thing, the buds will just look initially bigger and pointier. Just from the pics, it looks like both trees are alive and fine. You'll do a lot of winter worrying the first couple of years into this hobby until you observe how your trees behave on the regular.

Top Bottom