Tree for Flat Top African Style

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any suggestions for a tree to style after a flat top African tree? I am looking for a tree for zone 5 - 6 so I am not really interested in tropical plants. I have too many plants now to winter under lights. But alternately do you have suggestions for a tropical or subtropical if I can't find a temperate tree to do what I want.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
The tree is a South African Acacia Tree... Giraffe's tend to eat away all the lower foilage leaving a flatish underside while the tops just grow flat, no crown....they are available online, google it....you would have to prune/shape/style to get the African look....
They are my favorites in all of Natures trees. that African Acacia look is Haunting,,,,b9b087332b913ab1959b4b30048baf0f[1].jpg

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a BRT that I have been considering training as a flat top. Right now I am just letting it grow to thicken up the trunk and develop the branch structure. It has been growing like crazy since it got hot outside and I have to trim off the new thorns every couple days!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your picture is probably of a Camel Thorn/Giraffe Thorn, Acacia erioloba. A Honey Locust, Gleditsia triacanthos can do the trick for you. You need to train it to long branches which will then droop outwards.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw an old thread of a BRT flat topped and it looked great. I am going to train one I have for that as a tropical. THe honey locust is a great idea but I am not sure how much the leaves will reduce. Nothing to loose and it is hardy here so I will be looking for one.
Thanks everyone, great ideas.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Korean Hornbeam responds well for flat topping....well mine is doing that anyway. It’s a tree in development. It sat for many seasons on a bench with a shelf above it. It began to grow out on all sides instead of up. I’m in a 5-6 zone depending on the particular winter weather and the tree is outdoors in a wood box all year....no special winter treatment at all.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Korean Hornbeam responds well for flat topping....well mine is doing that anyway. It’s a tree in development. It sat for many seasons on a bench with a shelf above it. It began to grow out on all sides instead of up. I’m in a 5-6 zone depending on the particular winter weather and the tree is outdoors in a wood box all year....no special winter treatment at all.
I guess just about anything could work but I have 7 Korean Hornbeams and they are all much more like oaks, or hornbeams, than they are flat topped.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My kid was playing with styling a locust in that style. It was looking good but I don't think it survived the move.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've got a crepe myrtle I'm letting grow out this year, it looks like it would make a decent flat top

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve seen some old crabapples around town with a flat-ish top. Here’s a pic I found on google. Not exactly a flat top but I think it would look pretty good in that style, and would be hardy in your zone.
72ACF8DB-9123-480B-BEFF-000320848B99.jpeg

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a tree to style after a flat top African tree? I am looking for a tree for zone 5 - 6 so I am not really interested in tropical plants. I have too many plants now to winter under lights. But alternately do you have suggestions for a tropical or subtropical if I can't find a temperate tree to do what I want.
I used a green gem boxwood for a tree kinda like a flat top

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I did some digging, as far as I can tell, none of the Acacia, including Acacia in the wider sense from North America are winter hardy enough for zone 5 or 6.

This means that you will either have to resort to tropical acacia species, or to less closely related substitute species. Robinia, the black locust is a possibility. Also consider Kentucky Coffee Tree. Both have problems being grown as bonsai.

Best bet is to train a totally non Acacia like species, choose a species known to work as silly putty for accepting various styles. The suggestion of a boxwood by @J.Doolittle is brilliant. Boxwood are very accepting of various shapes.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got a thornless honeylocust to start training.

woodworker

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bald Cypress. I was going to dig one up here in Illinois that a homeowner wanted cut down. They realized that their electrical went right under the tree, so they decided to just keep it. While looking at pictures of them for Bonsai, I discovered several flat-top versions which I found to be quite beautiful. Next year I am going to pick one up because I loved how they look with the flat top styling.

Bald Cypress.jpg

Top Bottom