Tree Id and Guidance

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Volunteer from the yard. Nothing around like it. Growing well. The branches are about 2 feet. Should I trim back or let grow? Thanks.
20180613_070721.jpg
20180613_070902_001.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
From my website:
‘Karee’ (African Sumac No longer considered a Sumac however ) - Searsia lancea (Formerly Rhus lancea)

Several years ago I saw one of these trees and I thought that it would be ideal for bonsai. When mature, they have rough deeply fissured bark, naturally contorted trunks, the tri-foliate leaves reduce to about 1/4 of and inch, great surface roots and as a bonus, they even smell like mangos when you prune!

I have always loved the unique look of Pierneef, and Bushveld African styles trees. As it happens, this South African Native is from the Bushveld and is ideally suited to these styles. It is rugged and adaptable to temperatures from low teens to the hottest that the Las Vegas Summer can throw at it. They can withstand droughts and are equally at home in coastal mists and fog.

BONSAI CARE:
WATER: Doesn’t like wet feet as it is prone to root and crown rot, can handle a bit of dryness, do not allow extended periods completely dry. Do not allow to dry out in the hottest months. It may drop it’s leaves in response to drought conditions.
SUN: Full sun or partial shade. Bring inside to a bright, well-ventilated location or unheated greenhouse when temps drop below 20F.
FERTILIZER: Feed regularly with a balanced fertilizer appreciates chelated mineral supplement as becomes chlorotic
PH: Likes a neutral to alkaline ph of around 7.0 or a bit above
REPOTTING: Root pruning every other year is a must.
PRUNING: Hard pruning should be carried out in spring. To reduce leaf size and internode length, prune leaves back to the first pair. This can be done anytime.
PESTS AND DISEASES: Is susceptible to crown and root rot if overwatered and also aphids can be an issue.

Reactions: GGB

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I would definitely prune back to the first pair of leaves on each branch. Just thought of this as well gimme a few minutes I want to put up a quick virtual. I need to make a couple of phone calls first.

Just keep it out of direct sun for a couple of days after. :) On these the branches thicken much slower than the trunk (kind of like a lavender star flower) so you are best to let the branches extend a bit, then cut way back, rinse & repeat. They are easy to wire if you wish but be careful about biting in, they grow VERY fast.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Clyde I appreciate! Do you have your land legs back?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Not gonna have time for a virt. Basically just consider pruning to a pair of branches, allowing them to grow to approximately the same length as the bottom section of the trunk then ramify the top third. :)

Top Bottom