Tree ID, good for bonsai ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I see a few of these trees on my morning walk, they have very nice bark and a foliage a bit similar to oak but softer. They seem to multiply by sending shooters on the ground from which branches emergence to form new trunks, like a natural raft. Plant snap identified it as Sargents barberry but I don't recall seing flowers or berries on it.
Screenshot_20220328-074134_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220328-074121_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220328-072435_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220328-072457_Gallery.jpg
The main tree is rather big to remove so if I am to take one it'll have to be from the raft, do u think I can air layer it and cut a couple of trees from the air layers ? Do I do it now early spring ?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
An air layer is definitely worth a try. Now is a good time to give it a go. Here are a couple links to help you on your research.

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Best I could come up with was Sargents barberry… very small flowers and variations.
158E62A8-F887-406E-9C9E-3B8C9E953960.jpeg AA85DC20-A2F2-414D-B4CE-306E520420A0.jpeg
cheers
DSD sends

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for ur help. The flowers abd berries confused me as its spring and I don't see any. Yet from.what I'm reading seems they only show in May June.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see a few of these trees on my morning walk, they have very nice bark and a foliage a bit similar to oak but softer. They seem to multiply by sending shooters on the ground from which branches emergence to form new trunks, like a natural raft. Plant snap identified it as Sargents barberry but I don't recall seing flowers or berries on it.
View attachment 427128View attachment 427129View attachment 427131View attachment 427132
The main tree is rather big to remove so if I am to take one it'll have to be from the raft, do u think I can air layer it and cut a couple of trees from the air layers ? Do I do it now early spring ?
You're really not going to have much success getting an ID here, unless someone who knows native Lebanese plants chimes in. The folks here are making guess based on European and North America guides and experiences...

I did a little search and came up with this article. #7 on the list is "Lebanon Oak" (quercus Libani)... As far as its suitability for bonsai, well, that's probably up to you, like most of us who are working with our own native oak species. It's new territory. Haven't ever seen a Lebanon Oak in bonsai culture. Might be worth searching Italian/Spanish/Mediterranean bonsai sites for it...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for ur help. The flowers abd berries confused me as its spring and I don't see any. Yet from.what I'm reading seems they only show in May June.
Hmm…. Some folks actually check these things?

The worldwide range shows Berberis sargentiana exists in Lebanon .

Characteristic whorls of leaves etc. The questionable issue I have is the plants girth. I haven’t seen a barberry that thick, So 90%

cheers
DSD sends

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Leaves (whorls, spiky shape) look like my Canada barberry but yeah that's a real monster you have there. Most of the barberries I see in the states are just twiggy messes that like to stab you when you're walking on the sidewalk.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Will try to check with local nurseries to see if they know it. Or if barberry exists in Lebanon. Leaves do look a bit like oak but longer. I'll check the Lebanese oak as well l, I know we have manynoaks but never knew of a Lebanese oak. Heres an oak I picked from a guy that does bonsai here but it unfortunately died few months later for no reason..leaves branches and bark are very different. Leaves are spiky and more rigidScreenshot_20220330-090638_Gallery.jpg

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Th
You're really not going to have much success getting an ID here, unless someone who knows native Lebanese plants chimes in. The folks here are making guess based on European and North America guides and experiences...

I did a little search and came up with this article. #7 on the list is "Lebanon Oak" (quercus Libani)... As far as its suitability for bonsai, well, that's probably up to you, like most of us who are working with our own native oak species. It's new territory. Haven't ever seen a Lebanon Oak in bonsai culture. Might be worth searching Italian/Spanish/Mediterranean bonsai sites for it.

I did a little search and came up with this article. #7 on the list is "Lebanon Oak" (quercus Libani)... As far as its suitability for bonsai, well, that's probably up to you, like most of us who are working with our own native oak species. It's new territory. Haven't ever seen a Lebanon Oak in bonsai culture. Might be worth searching Italian/Spanish/Mediterranean bonsai sites for it...
Thanks for the link

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
One thing I'm not able to find online which might help with the ID is those roots/ branch /trunk ? Growing horizontal on the soil with new trunks emerging from them forming new trees, like a raft thing. Is this a common way barberry grows or is this just a coincidence on this specific tree where any trees can multiply in this manner. Does that indicate any species thats capable of this growth form ?
I'll ground layer it today and as we have a dry and hot spring and summer will water it every few days while walking. How long do u think it'll take for it to root? Can I expect to be able to pull it in autumn or next year ?
Thanks

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most plants can raft, some easier then others, in fact I’m pretty sure all trees and especially shrubs, can do this.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom