Tree ID help

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone know this one. Seems to be subtropical, evergreen, flowers at the end of branches only. Grows like a weed. Buds back readily when pruned. About 20 ft tall. Two were in my landscape when I arrived, but I haven't seen them in local nurseries. I just air layered a couple of starts. It may not be easily developed into bonsai, but I like the flowers. Any ideas?

tree id 1.jpg

tree id 2.jpg

tree id 3.jpg

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
It's some sort of Fabaceae, with 20,000+ species I am not going to try and key this one out and hope someone just knows.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's some sort of Fabaceae, with 20,000+ species I am not going to try and key this one out and hope someone just knows.
Thanks. I suspect you're right, but that's kinda like calling it a plant.....well, a flowering plant. Hope someone knows which are commonly used as tree-like ornamentals in California.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Correct, is a Polygala species, more than probably Polygala myrtiflora

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Correct, is a Polygala species, more than probably Polygala myrtiflora

That's it. You guys rock! Looks like California considers it a possible invasive. That would explain why most nurseries no longer carry it.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
That's it. You guys rock! Looks like California considers it a possible invasive. That would explain why most nurseries no longer carry it.
Strange because I see them all the time and I never recall have seen fruits or seeds in them

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Strange because I see them all the time and I never recall have seen fruits or seeds in them

Mine flowers almost all year round, but now that you mention it, I've not seen seed pods either.

Top Bottom