Tree ID Please

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Found this for 10 cents and thought about growing out. Can anyone identify please?

DSC01391 (Medium).JPG

DSC01392 (Medium).JPG

DSC01393 (Medium).JPG

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
hey mate, can you tell us about the tree. if you break one of the leaves off does it leak a white sap? or when you crush one of the leaves does it give off a scent?
it looks a bit tropical or some sort of fruiting tree?

jamie :)

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hey mate, can you tell us about the tree. if you break one of the leaves off does it leak a white sap? or when you crush one of the leaves does it give off a scent?
it looks a bit tropical or some sort of fruiting tree?

Thanks for your reply. There is no white sap , nor is there any discernible scent upon crushing the leaves

Last edited:

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did some research and found this Buttonwood. Do you think I'm on the right track?

Thanks

Buttonwood.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It ain't buttonwood if it's growing like that inside in Illinois. Buttonwood require alot of involved care that far North as indoor bonsai.

It's a tropical of some sort, just not buttonwood.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
i agree with rockm. the leaves arent the same, yours has more of a point. if you take it to your local nursery they might be able to help ID it for you. i think it is a tropical of some sort still. i am not sure what sort of species you have over there so it is hard for me to say :confused:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did some research and found this Buttonwood. Do you think I'm on the right track?

Thanks

View attachment 9837

LOL it's funny that you used that pic. . . I sent it to the Bonsai Societies of Florida after that tree was stolen from me:mad:during the Bonsai Convention at the Morikami Museum a few years ago. They posted it on their website to see if any one knew its where abouts........I still miss that tree. It was an air-layer I took and would have made a sweet little shohin in a short amount of time.

To answer your question...your tree is definitely not a buttonwood, but as to what it is I don't know. Probably something tropical judging by the leaves.

Last edited:

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
LOL it's funny that you used that pic. . . I sent it to the Bonsai Societies of Florida after that tree was stolen from me:mad:during the Bonsai Convention at the Morikami Museum a few years ago. They posted it on their website to see if any one knew its where abouts........I still miss that tree. It was an air-layer I took and would have made a sweet little shohin in a short amount of time.

To answer your question...your tree is definitely not a buttonwood, but as to what it is I don't know. Probably something tropical judging by the leaves.

OMG--sorry for bringing back that memory Ryan !! I sincerely hope that the freak that stole it develops root rot LOL

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is an Ardisia elliptica, here's a link: http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/image/?q=040209-0313

I used to have a scrawny little one that I bought from the discount rack at Lowe's. It struggled along for quite a while, but in the end it didn't make it...:(

Thank you so much---I never would have found the species. Never dawned on me it would be native to Hawaii.

I think this one came out of Florida

Any idea about pruning? Leaf reduction, etc??

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OMG--sorry for bringing back that memory Ryan !! I sincerely hope that the freak that stole it develops root rot LOL

No problem. Yeah I think I know who it was but it's only speculation....Some guy kept wanting to buy it and pressured me all day about it. and each time he asked I told him it wasn't for sale. The next morning I came back to my booth and it was gone. For the remainder of the convention I was "that guy that got robbed"...LOL I hope if he tries to sell it one day that he gets caught. It's a very distinctive buttonwood. It's been about 3 years now since that happened but I still hope he gets what's coming to him.

Glad you discovered what your tree is:D

Top Bottom