Tree ID - What did I buy my girlfriend?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
My girlfriend took a liking to this little tree at a local nursery yesterday, so I bought it for her. It’s labeled as a boxwood but I’ve never seen a boxwood like this. What could it be?

C5CE0204-9F71-4A5C-B1DA-974E1A962A53.jpegBCD8FC92-BF58-4AEA-82FC-174D7229E50A.jpeg7C3A7183-4E55-4CBE-98B5-4C3FF17342AB.jpeg952E3084-3AFF-4B2E-80F1-20CE57A95BA3.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Super high/low pH can cause purple discoloration.

My pines go purple in winter sometimes, the anthocyans are made as cryoprotectant.
When they die in summer due to over watering, they tend to go purple before they pass the river Styx.

So all in all, I think it's a regular boxwood with soil issues.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Their label should have said Buxus microphylla 'Faulkner'

From Monrovia's site:
This slow growing, dwarf habit means less pruning! Glossy, bright green foliage is densely packed, and takes on a rich bronze tinge during the winter. An exceptional specimen for container or landscape. Easily shaped into a tidy hedge or topiary form. Evergreen.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Wires_Guy_wires its winter here now so could the colour be due to the cold?

The foliage doesn’t look like a boxwood I’ve ever seen. The leaves are really small, 5mm long each and don’t come off the shoots like boxwoods.
It could very well be cold related!
In spring it should turn back to green. But it might still hint that the soil isn't in an ideal state.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Super high/low pH can cause purple discoloration.

My pines go purple in winter sometimes, the anthocyans are made as cryoprotectant.
When they die in summer due to over watering, they tend to go purple before they pass the river Styx.

So all in all, I think it's a regular boxwood with soil issues.

I’ve seen this purpling here in thujas and our junis.... the juniperus (at least upright ones) around here must be JUUUUUUUST on “the cusp” of their preferred zone.. because in SPRING.. that’s how their presence is made known from afar... purple trees. (Careful, the purple ones are “sharper”) 😂😂

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I’ve seen this purpling here in thujas and our junis.... the juniperus (at least upright ones) around here must be JUUUUUUUST on “the cusp” of their preferred zone.. because in SPRING.. that’s how their presence is made known from afar... purple trees. (Careful, the purple ones are “sharper”) 😂😂
In junipers it's perfectly normal.
My itoigawa go gold, my needle junipers go purple.

It's not really a zone thing, except of course that hotter regions don't have the purples.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye ...I think winter color is so species specific it could be used to id species sometimes.

Sorce

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a lot of them, but i thought they were lonicera nitida ?
check this tread
post #36

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I have a lot of them, but i thought they were lonicera nitida ?
check this tread
post #36

Thanks @eryk2kartman, definitely a lonicera! Any tips or advice on this species?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine were dug up from the ground, in August, middle of summer (only because council was working on foot path) they did survive, i had small hopes but they recovered really well, sever root pruning, no problem and they were potted in potting grit only:)
I would still suggest to re-pot in spring, i did it this year and they all survive, they strong and will take abuse. however wood is soft and prone to rot.
Mine are in full sun and no problems, but probably in your location, a bit of shed wouldn't harm, they will stay greener.
They were left for last 2 winters outside with no protection, survived no problem.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mine were dug up from the ground, in August, middle of summer (only because council was working on foot path) they did survive, i had small hopes but they recovered really well,

Saying, first, that its ALWAYS wisest to collect with ideal timing...

...Isn’t it fun to find species that can “roll with this”? ... i found this out about Elaeagnus the same way..... summer work “rescues” hahaha

Ulmus also don’t “give a shite”, relatively, as long as your not too attached to THAT foliage you collected it with. I rescued a smaller elm recently from “gas diggers”... it dropped all it’s leaves, and was considered to be dead.. he just going to hang out in the pot until that soil or container was needed... surprise!

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm going to have to agree with those who said that this is lonicera nitida, and not a boxwood. Either way, it should be a great species to work on

Top Bottom