Tree ID

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3435.JPG This tree was given to me this weekend. I was told it had been collected 3 years ago and nothing done with it since. It was collected in Oklahoma from a field owned by a bonsai collector. So I don't know if it's native or if it was planted intentionally for the purpose of later being dug up.

I was hoping to get some help identifying the species for this tree but also was curious how most people go about doing their own research when finding/collecting unknown species?

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It looks very much like a hackberry.

When I am trying to identify an unfamiliar spices I usually refer to a field guide, like Peterson's "A Field Guide to Eastern Trees" In the case of trees from a different region I might have an educated guess about the genus but not the exact species so I plug it into Google images along with a a pertinent detail like the state or province. It helps to be familiar with the botanical terminology describing bud arrangement, leaf edge type, texture, and shape. Sometimes exact speces is impossible to determine without flowers or fruit.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hack, the top two feet, berry!

Sorce

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_3438.PNG Good call, that's exactly what it is. Leafs are a perfect match!
Thank you also for the tips on how to begin learning to id them for myself!

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Well I collected this tree this spring. It is doing well but I have yet to figure what it is. Beech, Birch, Cottonwood. It's not an Oak or Maple. If anyone can help Thanks. If not the Truth will come in due time.

Attachments

• 20170712_192020.jpg
    20170712_192020.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170712_192003.jpg
    20170712_192003.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170712_191945.jpg
    20170712_191945.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 33

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Well I collected this tree this spring. It is doing well but I have yet to figure what it is. Beech, Birch, Cottonwood. It's not an Oak or Maple. If anyone can help Thanks. If not the Truth will come in due time.
I think this looks closer to a penn ash to me.. kinda hard to tell with the new growth

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would say Pagoda Dogwood, Cornus alternifolia. A consistent characteristic of dogwoods is leaf veins that follow the edge of the leaf. C. alternifolia is unique among dogwoods in that, as the name suggests, the leaves are alternating on the stem rather than opposite each other. Pagoda dogwoods grow well in the shade of other trees and have a beautiful form. As for their adaptability to pot culture, I just don't know.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
The tree was about 8 feet tall before I cut it . Both Dogwood and Penn Ash fit the leaf shape and grow in this zone. All I can really do is wait for seeds or flowers to get more info.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say Pagoda Dogwood, Cornus alternifolia. A consistent characteristic of dogwoods is leaf veins that follow the edge of the leaf. C. alternifolia is unique among dogwoods in that, as the name suggests, the leaves are alternating on the stem rather than opposite each other. Pagoda dogwoods grow well in the shade of other trees and have a beautiful form. As for their adaptability to pot culture, I just don't know.

These leaves are opposite, not alternate;).

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In picture #2 at the first nodes it's true that you can see a couple cases of opposite leaves, and the growth on the tips obscures the structure, but look closely and check out picture #3. Nearly every leaf in this picture is alternate. You will not see this arrangement in the grey dogwood, osier, kousa, or any other that I am aware of.

Top Bottom