Tree ID

Ambush0908

Seed
Reaction score
Good Morning all. I am new to the forum and new to Bonsai trees. I have always wanted one but full disclosure did not know to much about them. I bought one at a street fair this weekend and the lady gave me instructions and plant food. As soon as I googled "bonsai tree care" I realized I should have asked her what type it was. I attached 2 pictures. Can anyone ID this tree? I am assuming it is a common one. Thanks!

Tree.jpgTree2.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks like a juniper. Not sure which type, but I'm sure somebody will jump in to ID it.

Did the lady tell you it was an indoor plant? Because junipers are not indoor plants and they will die indoors. I wanted to warn you before that happens.

Welcome to the nuthouse!

Ambush0908

Seed
Reaction score
It looks like a juniper. Not sure which type, but I'm sure somebody will jump in to ID it.

Did the lady tell you it was an indoor plant? Because junipers are not indoor plants and they will die indoors. I wanted to warn you before that happens.

Welcome to the nuthouse!
Thanks for the reply. She didn't mention anything about it being indoor or outdoor. I can probably keep it outdoors even though that was not my intention. Does it stay outdoors all winter? I am in the Northeast so it gets cold.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see that it's how a large amount of bonsai enthusiasts start; they get a tree, and they kill it indoors.
There's no shame in that, especially not if it leads to you refine your knowledge and skills. But actively and purposely deciding for a tree to meet it's demise doesn't go well with the community. It kind of rubs them the wrong way. So I'd advise against it ;-)

Should it stay outdoors all winter? Yes, with some wind protection. There's a few threads about overwintering.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Juniperus procumbens 'nana', aka the Japanese garden juniper. Hardy to usda zone 4, so perfectly hardy anywhere in the NE except the very most northern regions. Full sun during spring, summer, and fall, out of the sun and pot covered with mulch during the winter. I bet those rocks are glued on... better remove them. Also, make sure your pot has drainage;).

Ambush0908

Seed
Reaction score
I see that it's how a large amount of bonsai enthusiasts start; they get a tree, and they kill it indoors.
There's no shame in that, especially not if it leads to you refine your knowledge and skills. But actively and purposely deciding for a tree to meet it's demise doesn't go well with the community. It kind of rubs them the wrong way. So I'd advise against it ;-)

Should it stay outdoors all winter? Yes, with some wind protection. There's a few threads about overwintering.
The lady was not that forthcoming about where to keep it. The instructions she gave me were for indoor plants so it sounds like she either didn't know herself or was dishonest.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where are you in the Northeast?

Trees like these are made to make a quick buck.

If you are interested in doing bonsai move this outside and learn its watering needs. Look around for a bonsai nursery or club to really get you started.

Ambush0908

Seed
Reaction score
I am in NJ. I am aggravated because I had know idea she could have been misleading me. I am going to move it outside but I don’t have a great spot where I will be able to enjoy it. I will try and set up an area.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's where the fun begins! Brace yourself, because as soon as you have a 'spot' outside, you'll want to cram as much as possible in there ;-)

As for the mix up, I think I've seen a thread on this forum about Wallmart selling bonsai. It were junipers in pots like you have. Those came with indoor instructions too. But I'm not from the US and never been in a wallmart, and my memory isn't the best around, so I could be wrong. But it would explain why the lady didn't know; she must've just read the label and did as it told her to do.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in NJ. I am aggravated because I had know idea she could have been misleading me. I am going to move it outside but I don’t have a great spot where I will be able to enjoy it. I will try and set up an area.
Where about in NJ? I'm up in Hackettstown.

Top Bottom