Tree ID

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Need help IDing this please. It was a HUGE bush that I cut all the way back this past summer after we moved into our new house and just before I started getting into bonsai. So now I look at it and I wonder if it has potential to becoming a bonsai at some time. Thanks for checking it out and any suggestions. I live in zone 7a in east Tennessee.20181010_150632.jpg20181010_150732.jpg20181010_150710.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boxwood is my vote.The trunk on the right hand bush is pretty massive! It could be a fantastic bonsai with the right work.

I can't do a virtual on my phone, but I picture the future of that tree as a broad canopy, multi-trunk about 25% of the current height. I'd completely remove the front-right branch that goes out and then bows left (in the first picture). That would help trunk taper.

Chopping the rest of the branches/ subtrunks back fairly aressively would induce backbudding to build future branching from.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Slightly serrated leaves, looks to me like a type of Holly, probably a big crenata (Japanese type), or it could be a type of larger growing yaupon.

But the leaves look extra waxy, I'm not ruling out a box leaf euonymus type, but the bark doesn't quite look like it...

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Slightly serrated leaves, looks to me like a type of Holly, probably a big crenata (Japanese type), or it could be a type of larger growing yaupon.

But the leaves look extra waxy, I'm not ruling out a box leaf euonymus type, but the bark doesn't quite look like it...
I also posted this on FB in Bonsai Talk and someone suggested Japanese Holly.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Ok, I can see that now. Kind of hard to tell on my phone screen I guess. Either way, the right hand one has potential in my opinion. The left one is difficult to see the base because of the sprouts down there, but it could probably work too.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Opposite Leaves - Euonymus possibly Euonymus japonicus, Japanese spindle tree, often have glossy leaves and many named cultivars are variegated. Shrub or small tree to 25 feet tall.

Holly, all Ilex species have alternate leaves

Top Bottom