Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This guy made his way into a pot that was sitting by the side of the house with some dirt in it. I have never watered it and somehow has survived and looks pretty happy so far. Can't figure out exactly what it is. Looks like black poplar or apricot (prunus armeniaca). Hoping apricot, cause I'll take a free fruit tree.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20210813_201142100.jpg
    PXL_20210813_201142100.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20210813_201151091.jpg
    PXL_20210813_201151091.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 37

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first guess from the shape of the leaves and the vertical growth of the sapling is it's some sort of cottonwood. They do have a tendency to pop up in some of the most random places on their own.
The leaves you have there don't look as hard and thick as the fremont cottonwoods that grow around here, but then there are many different cottonwoods.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a Fremont cottonwood.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be a redbud, could be a cottonwood, could be a weed too. The plant is too young to have developed a woody stem and it may not if its a weed.

Redbud leaves

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be a redbud, could be a cottonwood, could be a weed too. The plant is too young to have developed a woody stem and it may not if its a weed.

Redbud leaves
As stated above, it is just too soon to tell. But I collect redbuds cultivars and have literally thousands of wild RedBuds growing on my land.
This is what it is not.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As stated above, it is just too soon to tell. But I collect redbuds cultivars and have literally thousands of wild RedBuds growing on my land.
This is what it is not.
FWIW, having many visits to Texas and living there and in Va. I have been struck by regional differences in many tree species that are shared by the two. For instance the leaves on a willow oak (quercus phellos) in Texas looks only a bit like quercus phellos willow oak in Va. The lance-like leaves on the trees here in Va. are broader and lobed on willow oaks in Texas. Hold the two up together and you'd swear they weren't the same tree...Not saying that's what's happening here, but species don't look exactly the same region to region.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FWIW, having many visits to Texas and living there and in Va. I have been struck by regional differences in many tree species that are shared by the two. For instance the leaves on a willow oak (quercus phellos) in Texas looks only a bit like quercus phellos willow oak in Va. The lance-like leaves on the trees here in Va. are broader and lobed on willow oaks in Texas. Hold the two up together and you'd swear they weren't the same tree...Not saying that's what's happening here, but species don't look exactly the same region to region.
Won't argue with that point. There's a trail I hike sometimes, and some of the gamble scrub oak that grows there has pointed lobes on the leaves that almost look like holly, and that's the two varieties in the same area. Could be a disease of some sort, but they look healthy otherwise.
Again, OP will know for sure the end of next summer.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for those who replied, guess I'll let it do it's thing and see. If it is a cottonwood, I got little use for it. Haha

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely!
I can think of many different trees I have seen both on this site and in the wild that fit "regional difference" (a term I really like). Most noteably for me it is the maples. The flower of the Oklahoma Red bud and the East Coast Red bud is dramatic in both flower and form. Leaves however are about the same. I just know this is not a Red Bud.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for those who replied, guess I'll let it do it's thing and see. If it is a cottonwood, I got little use for it. Haha
There have been a fistful of folks on here that have given cottonwood a go as bonsai. Can't recall names right now, but you might dig through the search function. That thing is worth an experiment unless you need the pot for something else.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oooo now that would be interesting to work on. I might give it some movement and let it grow and we'll see.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The roots of bittersweet tend to have orange to brown thin bark (when a couple years old) and below the orange bark the cambium is bright yellow.

Bittersweet definitely has bonsai potential, once you get a decent trunk. Mine has been taking FOREVER to trunk up. Look around, where you have seedlings, larger plants are probably not too far away.

THe potential ID for this tree is maybe Bittersweet,
maybe Cottonwood
lower probability - Tilia cordata - basswood.

My guess; it is one of the 3 above, a couple more years of growing and it will be easier to figure out which is what.
The European species of Tilia have a good track record for bonsai, in particular "Little Leaf Linden" is quite popular for bonsai. I don't recall seeing the American species being used, though it probably has been.

Top Bottom