Tree ID?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My guess is a type of crab apple but the fruit color is throwing me off.

20221002_165336.jpg

20221002_165332.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in the pear camp, but uncertain about the variety.
In my town they have the entire downtown business (read "tourist) district on Main Street lined with these.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm a bit late but agree with Pyrus calleryana.
Some of the landscape flowering pears are P. calleryana but it is also used as rootstock for fruiting pears so some old house sites have these where the fruit trees have died but the stock has kept growing. They also naturalize round here when birds spread the seeds.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bradford pear (pyrus calleryana). Extremely common, invasive species. Can make decent bonsai if the trunk is worth the effort. Pretty easy to dig up and pretty tough. Can tolerate extreme root reduction at collection. Best collected in the spring. The Bradford Pear below is at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in D.C.

Attachments

• Bradfordpear.jpg
    Bradfordpear.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 27

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does the Bradford pear have significant thorns? I have a tree that looks like this in the landscape, similar looking fruit and it has thorns on small twigs and I thought it was some type of thorn apple.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does the Bradford pear have significant thorns?
Bradford does not normally have thorns but occasionally it does have a few that are modified fruiting spurs. The wild seedlings from Bradford pears, cannot be called Bradford and are calleryana, as are the seedlings of other Calleryana cultivars like Aristocrat, Cleveland Select, Capital, and Chanticleer. These wild seedlings are much more apt to produce thorns. Thus is also true of the Genus Malus and other trees that develop poms.

orangeyeoman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It is a Callery pear for sure. I have seen many hundreds of these growing wild and thousands of fruit.
Interesting. I have two trees the city (NYC) has labeled as callery pears in front of my house, but they've never had fruit like this in the 7 years I've been in the house. But who knows what NYC street life does to trees . . .

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting. I have two trees the city (NYC) has labeled as callery pears in front of my house, but they've never had fruit like this in the 7 years I've been in the house. But who knows what NYC street life does to trees . . .
Around here we often have late spring frosts that will kill the blossoms or young fruit. If your climate is prone to frosts after early April, it's possible it's the same problem.
It could also be tree care. If the soil is depleted or compacted they may just not have the wherewithal to bloom. Had this problem with the lilacs when I first moved into this house a year ago. Heavy clay soil under a xeriscaped yard that'd routinely been sprayed with herbicide for years. No healthy blossoms at all in spring, but I watered and fertilized this summer, and pulled the weeds in the rocks by hand, and they're looking allot better now.

orangeyeoman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Around here we often have late spring frosts that will kill the blossoms or young fruit. If your climate is prone to frosts after early April, it's possible it's the same problem.
It could also be tree care. If the soil is depleted or compacted they may just not have the wherewithal to bloom. Had this problem with the lilacs when I first moved into this house a year ago. Heavy clay soil under a xeriscaped yard that'd routinely been sprayed with herbicide for years. No healthy blossoms at all in spring, but I watered and fertilized this summer, and pulled the weeds in the rocks by hand, and they're looking allot better now.
The soil is most assuredly depleted, and compacted. NYC street trees lead a hard life. Though the trees seem otherwise healthy, and grow like gangbusters. They're close to 40' tall, and I have to (discretely, as the city forbids it) trim their branches back about 3'-4' twice a year to keep them from scraping my house.

Top Bottom