Tree ideas to pair with rose quartz

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
I have recently begun my bonsai journey and have been contemplating on various routes I want to take. One way is to utilize this chunk of rose quartz. As I am just starting out, I am keeping my focus on how to successfully grow, nurture and not kill a tree. Yet I believe it’s never to early to start planning my own unique artistic flare into my creations. My question for y’all is, what species of tree do you believe would a slab of rose quartz best accentuate?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 10

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
6934F0DB-E498-4B2B-B61E-E69CB67A4B3F.jpeg
How about a prunus mume root over rock? Would be very mystical I reckon.

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
View attachment 363961
How about a prunus mume root over rock? Would be very mystical I reckon.
That’s not a bad idea. As my quartz is triangular, I was thinking of having the tree parallel to the slab as if the tree is climbing up the quartz. The color of this species I do feel would flow aesthetically well with the quartz slab. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quartz is non-porus...roots will not adhere to it very well at all. It might be better to use the quartz as an accent in the planting rather than to try and grow a tree on it.

I have a couple of rose quartz chunks to accent my purple leaf sand cherry.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That delicate pink would complement cherry or azalea blossoms. However I agree with @LittleDingus that quartz is not a good candidate for a root over rock composition. It just isn't a tree friendly material.

Thinking outside of the box, if you had a chunk of quartz that you could get someone to carve / drill a depression into, making sure there was drainage in the bottom, it could possibly work, though it would be an avant garde composition that might be too "in your face" for many people. Pink tree in a pink chunk of quartz... might be too much.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The angularity is going to be your biggest obstacle, it will conflict with the flow of almost any set of roots and also the flow of the rest of the kinds of trees which have color. It's shape better matches upright Pines and other uprights that won't work, anyway. While the rock is supposed to be an important part of the picture, it shouldn't be The focal point, but rather an important modifier that influences growth and provides the setting. The rock isn't insignificant, but should not be dominant in the whole picture. This rock is waving its arms and shouting, "Look at Me!" A pretty rock might be smooth and just peeking out of the soil? And that's probably too much, too.

Actually, the angularity is just the second major obstacle.

Top Bottom