Tree identification and.......

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A0D5B3D4-3663-43AC-BCF9-C946B65F3920.jpegB0BE3ECE-3024-4543-AB9C-1F49D9CF03ED.jpegA6CE7506-2828-45AE-AC3E-D4BCFCFDFAD1.jpeg
Since I grew up in Florida I am really ignorant when it comes to northern deciduous trees. I dug this tree up last year because it was in the way of my new house. When I dug it up I raised it 3” and cut off the roots in that area. I had hoped the dark color would lighten and match the bark. Didn’t happen. My hope was to get it healthy and cut it down to 6” next spring. Not being sure as to the type of tree, I don’t know if it will backbud that low. Please let me know if this tree could be bonsai material. If not, I will plant it out in the front yard. Oh yes, there is a plate in the planter so the roots can’t go deep.

skyrat

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm pretty sure this is Black Walnut (Juglans nigra). I'm not sure about their back-budding habits since I've only ever seen them as full sized trees. Personally, I would plant it and let it grow out and focus on a different type, I think it would be a struggle to get decent bonsai out of it. The nuts are edible and pretty good, but messier and more work to get open than english walnuts. Don't plant it near anywhere you might park a car though. The nuts coming down is like hailing golfballs! You'll end up with dents in your car.

Last edited:

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like a black walnut to me also, but I am not used to seeing them that young.

Doug, did you notice any other trees nearby similar to this one? Often black walnut trees are found in groups where I live.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe it will brighten up in a few years, or you could airlayer the dark piece off, and/or get some more tree's in the meanwhile :D

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like a black walnut to me also, but I am not used to seeing them that young.

Doug, did you notice any other trees nearby similar to this one? Often black walnut trees are found in groups where I live.

None nearby but I have several Walnuts on the property. I will plant it out in back where the nuts can fall without causing any problems. Thanks for the reply.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looks like black walnut except walnut usually has a single terminal leaf, not two terminal side by side. Hard to tell but if it is tree of heaven, which it may be, kill that thing quick. Horrible invasive tree in the NE that closely resembles sumac.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like black walnut except walnut usually has a single terminal leaf, not two terminal side by side. Hard to tell but if it is tree of heaven, which it may be, kill that thing quick. Horrible invasive tree in the NE that closely resembles sumac.

I am going to say no to Tree of Heaven. The leaves have more serrations on the edge than my field guide shows and when I crush a leaf and stem it smells just like the soft green shell on a walnut. Thanks for making me aware of that tree though. I had never heard of it.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My brother brought home a 5 or 6 foot tall black walnut 30+ years ago while in college and planted in my parents front yard. It was been limbed up over 20 foot and had branches trimmed from growing over the house. Never once back budded. It is now over 50 feet tall and makes a great shade tree. The nuts stain the concrete drive way every Spring.

The tree is aleopathic, which means it’s roots put out a chemical that stunts or kills most grasses, plants, shrubs, and trees that grow within the root zone. So make sure you do not plant near anything you want to keep.

Also wear gloves if you pick up the nuts, as native Americans used the husks on the nuts to make a brownish/black die for cloth. It takes several weeks to wash it off of your hands. Guess how I know.?

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My brother brought home a 5 or 6 foot tall black walnut 30+ years ago while in college and planted in my parents front yard. It was been limbed up over 20 foot and had branches trimmed from growing over the house. Never once back budded. It is now over 50 feet tall and makes a great shade tree. The nuts stain the concrete drive way every Spring.

The tree is aleopathic, which means it’s roots put out a chemical that stunts or kills most grasses, plants, shrubs, and trees that grow within the root zone. So make sure you do not plant near anything you want to keep.

Also wear gloves if you pick up the nuts, as native Americans used the husks on the nuts to make a brownish/black die for cloth. It takes several weeks to wash it off of your hands. Guess how I know.?

You are dead on about walnuts being a horrible neighbor for other plants. I have also noticed that as they age they develop large roots above the ground level. I think I’ll plant it right next to my neighbor’s property. ;)

skyrat

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

English walnut ends in a single terminal leaflet. One of the main ways to tell a black walnut apart from English walnut is that black walnuts often terminate in double leaflets side by side. (Although not always, you can find them with single terminations also.) The double leaflet terminations was one of the key characteristics that led me to guess this is black walnut.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
English walnut ends in a single terminal leaflet. One of the main ways to tell a black walnut apart from English walnut is that black walnuts often terminate in double leaflets side by side. (Although not always, you can find them with single terminations also.) The double leaflet terminations was one of the key characteristics that led me to guess this is black walnut.
Thanks for the clarification! Not used to seeing them as saplings.

Top Bottom