Tree identification

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw this tree this weekend, idea of what it is and would it be worth collecting?

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpg
    IMG_3230.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 71

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The bark looks like common hornbeam, but there are probably hundreds of species that look similar : without leaves and/or flowers, esp. for a species in the wild on another continent/environment, it's just a guess.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post a photo of the grove from a distance to show the canopy shape, also twig tips to show branching angle, bark and buds up close. Describe the terrain, soil, elevation, whatever characterizes the area. Someone will know...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ask yourself "what about this trunk visually excites me?"

All I see is a pretty straight, plain trunk, that branches, much like a broom. The problem is, the branches are way to large in diameter. Branches, to look branch like visually, should be less than 50% the diameter of the trunk. Sub-trunks, as in the first segments of informal brooms and informal uprights, should still be less than 75% the diameter of the main trunk. What I see looks larger diameter than what visually would be ideal for sub-trunks.

I would keep walking around. See what else is out there.

Look for trunks that have something interesting going on in the first 4 to 6 inches, 10 cm to 15 cm, If the trunk isn't interesting, it is not worth the effort to dig up. No matter what species it is.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw this tree this weekend, idea of what it is and would it be worth collecting?
To be blunt, this trunk has no real appeal for bonsai. It is pretty boring--straight, no root flare that can be seen-- and adapting it to bonsai would make mostly a pretty boring bonsai.

Also, species is important, second only to an interesting trunk, as a collection point. Some native species, like American Beech, require some specialized pruning to develop, which can be a pain.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, that doesn't look like a hornbeam to me. Could be a number of things, need more info as mentioned--twig shapes, any hanging leaves still on the tree would be an excellent place to start ID.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to everyone for your reply / help. As most have said it is not too much to it and you see where I pulled the pine straw back to see the bottom and it looked straight all the way into the soil. Just thought it may be something to work with but think I will just leave it in the ground.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to everyone for your reply / help. As most have said it is not too much to it and you see where I pulled the pine straw back to see the bottom and it looked straight all the way into the soil. Just thought it may be something to work with but think I will just leave it in the ground.

If you really want to see what you're working with you should dig down around the trunk until you find the first radial roots. That's your base, and could be hidden under the soil. If there's no taper from that point I would pass. I guess the message is don't stop at the soil line. Clear the soil down to roots and then decide.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you really want to see what you're working with you should dig down around the trunk until you find the first radial roots. That's your base, and could be hidden under the soil. If there's no taper from that point I would pass. I guess the message is don't stop at the soil line. Clear the soil down to roots and then decide.

I'm loving this.

True since ...

If something big falls on a sapling, it can decompose and turn into dirt. Meanwhile, there is a bitching bent trunk just under that dirt.

1 in a million, maybe, but leaving the woods with clean hands is a sin.

Sorce

Top Bottom