Tree Identification

jrdixon

Seed
Reaction score
I know trying to identify a tree from pictures is quite difficult But I was hoping somebody out there might be able to help me identify my bonsai I have had for the last 5 years. We think it is either a Brush Cherry (Syzygium) or a Chinese Sweet Plum (Sageretia).. but then again it may be someting totally different.

Some of its characteristics are:

1) It seems to lose A LOT of leaves at the end of winter and during spring. I am hoping this is what should happen, and NOT because I am not caring for it properly. The loss of leaves tend to make the tree very sparse in the middle in springtime but new growth throughout summer seems to fill it out again (at the tips)..

2). The tree also sheds its bark each year, leaving a trunk looking similar to camouflage.

3). The new leaves seem to start off reddish, turning green as they mature.

4). The leaves seem to grow ‘opposite’ each other in pairs.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 45

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be a Chinese quince (pseudocydonia sinensis) . Leaves look about right, Chinese quince has exfoliating bark. It's not a brush cherry and probably not a sweet plum leaves are too large. If it is a quince, it is a temperate zone tree that goes dormant in the fall. If that's the case, it should be outside.

The source of the tree (and your location--important for care) could help ID, as well.

jrdixon

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Its much appreciated. The tree was a present, and the label on it did indicate it was a brush cherry.. as did (apparently) the receipt! However, the person who bought me it thought he had orders a Sweet plum!! Hence the confusion.

I have been in touch with the nursey who sold it, who also have struggled to 100% identify it!!!

It seems to be semi-evergreen, losing its leaves at end of winter/ start of spring - based here in the UK. But I have been keeping the tree indoors for the last 5 years!

I will look into the Chinese quince as you suggest!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Chinese Quince (Pseudocydonia chinensis) has an alternate leaf pattern, so that’s not it. The leaves look like sageretia, but the bark and growth of sageretia is coarser, angular, and without much taper. I’m not super familiar with brush cherry, but of the 3, it might be the closest.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese Quince (Pseudocydonia chinensis) has an alternate leaf pattern, so that’s not it. The leaves look like sageretia, but the bark and growth of sageretia is coarser, angular, and without much taper. I’m not super familiar with brush cherry, but of the 3, it might be the closest.
I've had (and killed) several brush cherries over the years. Leaves are a lot smaller and denser. The bark isn't right, either. Brush cherries don't have exfoliating bark, even in maturity. The brush cherries typically on the bonsai market also tend to be small and rather undeveloped, as well. Sweet plum leaves are lightly serrated as well, if I remember right...

Last edited:

jrdixon

Seed
Reaction score
I appreciate your responses. Having looked at sweet plums on the net, they do seem to have serrated leaves ( which mine does not).

I have been keeping the tree in acidic soil (as I thought this is what brush cherries like) so i‘m hoping this is ok. However they are supposed to be evergreen , and mine seems to be semi evergreen w8th a large leaf drop in spring.

perhaps this is because I am not taking proper care of it over the winter months?

jrdixon

Seed
Reaction score
is a “jaboticaba” a possibility? I found this description of it… it would explain the spring leaf drop?

The bark of the Jaboticaba is very smooth, creamy tan with a pinkish tint and patches of soft gray. Its habit of peeling off in curls as the trunk and branches expand is similar to the guava and crape myrtle. It is evergreen but sheds half its leaves each spring before new growth begins. The new leaves are pinkish but change to light to medium green.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is a “jaboticaba” a possibility? I found this description of it… it would explain the spring leaf drop?

The bark of the Jaboticaba is very smooth, creamy tan with a pinkish tint and patches of soft gray. Its habit of peeling off in curls as the trunk and branches expand is similar to the guava and crape myrtle. It is evergreen but sheds half its leaves each spring before new growth begins. The new leaves are pinkish but change to light to medium green.
Might be...

Vince Sartain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Might be...

I know trying to identify a tree from pictures is quite difficult But I was hoping somebody out there might be able to help me identify my bonsai I have had for the last 5 years. We think it is either a Brush Cherry (Syzygium) or a Chinese Sweet Plum (Sageretia).. but then again it may be someting totally different.

Some of its characteristics are:

1) It seems to lose A LOT of leaves at the end of winter and during spring. I am hoping this is what should happen, and NOT because I am not caring for it properly. The loss of leaves tend to make the tree very sparse in the middle in springtime but new growth throughout summer seems to fill it out again (at the tips)..

2). The tree also sheds its bark each year, leaving a trunk looking similar to camouflage.

3). The new leaves seem to start off reddish, turning green as they mature.

4). The leaves seem to grow ‘opposite’ each other in pairs.

Any help would be appreciated
I know I'm late to the party on this but did you ever discover what the tree is? The bark and leaf shape and size sure look like a Crape Myrtle to me. Would love to know what it is, it's a beautiful species!

Top Bottom