Tree never leafed out

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an elm tree that sat on my bench all year and over winter... even during the Artic Blast which saw us hit a week of temperatures of single digits and below....

Now the tree still hasn't leafed out. It scratches green everywhere, but just no or little bud movement.

Any ideas?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... waiting ....

Back in the day, one hit enter and the word

... working ...

appeared on the CRT screen. Go get coffee. Still there. Take a restroom break. Still there. Eventually the answer appeared (42?).

You're just stuck in the way-back machine. Either the green will disappear or leaves will appear. Then you will know.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's your other elm doing?

How does it's work and resulting health compare?

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a maple that I was absolutely terrible to over the winter and into the new year assuming I had already killed it. It's starting to push buds just now. I suppose it can take time.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey guys, I have an elm tree that sat on my bench all year and over winter... even during the Artic Blast which saw us hit a week of temperatures of single digits and below....

Now the tree still hasn't leafed out. It scratches green everywhere, but just no or little bud movement.

Any ideas?
stop scratching.
Doctors do not take blood of a patient on ICU to see whether they are alive. They provide all that is needed and.. WAIT.

Providing warm moist air can help. Bag it?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
The ”rule” I read once and have been applying since is to wait until the Fourth of July before declaring the subject dead. There can be very late revivals but I’ve never seen them past that date.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Any ideas?
It is probably dead, a number of years ago something went through our area and it hit only members of the Ulmus family, I lost a really nicely developing Zekova Serrata, and almost everyone I knew lost their Chines Elms.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay.....so you scratched.....was the underlying green moist and slippery or was the green chalky and more dry in appearance?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of the tree. Last year this tree was set up for ground layer, so I was planning on separating and potting them up whenever the tree did or does start to leaf out

20210510_112907.jpg

20210510_112919.jpg

Obviously the tree was just let to grow wild while I let let ground layer take. So pruning is another thing that was in the plans. I had hope to take some various sized cuttings and make a forest lol but nevertheless it's on the branches that I have been scratching...... yes it will be death by 1000 scratches

20210503_183331.jpg

It seems as if the tree has tried to break buds, but it's like something stunts it

Here are a couple close ups of a couple of buds breaking, that I assume should be producing green leaves

20210510_112958.jpg

20210510_113014.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Johnathan .....the buds you show look dormant yet. Give them time to think about shedding the covers and stepping out.

My Korean Hornbeam, American Elms, Oak and Field Maple already put out leaves. The growth spurt has halted though as the temperatures have dropped lower again. But I am still seeing steady growth. All of my trees are in wood boxes and in full sun south facing.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your grass and weeds are nice and spring green though.

The Korean Hornbeam around me are the first to bud swell and open leaves. Then I know the rest will follow soon after.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If I read this right, you already did the ground layer last year and now that whole top has just new, partial, roots near the surface of that vessel? If that is so, then the answer is real easy.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sometimes I find a branch that I know is not that desirable but yet a good looking bud branch. Then I pick a bud and cut it off. And inside under a magnifying glass light I take the bud apart and examine it for life signs. Something to I guess when I’m wondering if a tree is dead or alive. It’s a goofy thing that fascinates me. I guess I’m easily entertained.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
What's your other elm doing?

How does it's work and resulting health compare?

Sorce
I don't have any other elms, our local elms just leafed out a couple weeks ago. They were the last to leaf out here, along with the oaks.
I have a korean hornbeam in the same situation. fingers crossed for both our trees.
Have you done any fertilizer or pruning? I was wondering if these things would entice it to leaf out lol

How long ago was it collected? when the tree was sitting on the bench was there room for water to leave the container? Beautiful tree I hope it pulls through.
This was collected a few years ago, it was all well and healthy. No issues with water flow.

If I read this right, you already did the ground layer last year and now that whole top has just new, partial, roots near the surface of that vessel? If that is so, then the answer is real easy.
Correct. If everything went according to plan there should be 2 points where roots are emerging from this tree below the soil line.... I have not removed the tree from the container since executing the layer last spring. So, I am not sure if it took or not, or what's going on..... Please share the easy answer, any help is greatly appreciated.
The ”rule” I read once and have been applying since is to wait until the Fourth of July before declaring the subject dead. There can be very late revivals but I’ve never seen them past that date.
It is still green, so I am still holding out hope.

Top Bottom