Tree not stable after repot

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Struggled in repotting 3 of my trees, smaller sources and a juniper where they weren't easy to anchor or tie down well. Even after adding solid and chopstipping extensively one tree was held fine by soil. The other two trees didnt look to secure and were leaning a bit so I held them with wire anchored to the pot which added a bit of stability but still not feeling good about those.
Any chance that roots developing will secure the trees properly? How long would that typically take ? Should I just repot them and try to secure them better or would that kill roots that already are developing ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Yes wired in but they didn’t have thick root to press the wire against so went against soil they still had on one side and against trunk bottom. So doubt twisting wires will help but will definitely try.
thanks

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could take 4-6 weeks before root growth begins to anchor it in. Place in a wind free spot and don't move it around. Good luck!

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Use string around the pot to tie to the base of the tree. It'll be unsightly, but should provide the stability for those roots to stabilize the tree more quickly.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's one like it that had nothing to hang on to, so it will be like this for at least two growing seasons at which time I will loosen it and guess if there are enough roots developed to hold it upright.
At 2019_1210History0012.JPG

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not that you probably couldn't visualise it on your own, but here's an image (from an article on developing tridents) that depicts the tree (a recent cutting) tied into the pot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.00.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 8.00.40 PM.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 38

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do support wires all the time. Have also used rocks to hold down roots that keep popping up and chopsticks across roots to help tie down.

2019-10-20 15.26.20.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh, yeah. I forgot about this potful of dwarf Ivy that all leaned over and wouldn't stay where I wanted them, so these rocks form tiny pockets that guide them where I want them. There's about a dozen in here and they'll be trapped all summer until they form a mat of roots with enough upright-ness to suit. It looks stupid, but anything that works...
a if 20200401_135847 (4).jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unstable trees can usually fix themselves.

It's when the People get unstable that trees suffer.

Sorce

Top Bottom