Tree outside Smithsonian American Art Museum in DC

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Took these pictures a couple of weeks ago. Weather was too cold to get a closer look, but the pictures speak for themselves. No pine tree styling on this deciduous tree.

IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed that tree a few years ago and have been trying to determine what kind it is. There isn't a marker on it, like many other notable trees have in D.C.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I looked quickly for a marker but the wind was really whipping around and my wife was complaining o_O I tried looking it up online, but couldn't find anything.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Google street view has a picture of it in leaf, but it isn't particularly helpful for identifying it either:

image.jpeg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Cherry? Lots of those in DC.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If I had to guess, it might be a little leaf linden - Tilia cordata, a European species often used as a landscape tree, especially commonly used in late 19th century landscape designs. There are several magnificent specimens on the grounds of Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home in Virginia.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope. I'm familiar with Linden. Not a linden.

Definitely not a cherry. Way too big for a hornbeam. Leaves aren't right for either.

Not an oak.

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
Might be a mulberry tree. But that's a pure guess.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Little Leaf Linden, grounds of Monticello, not original to T. Jefferson time, but likely planted 1825 to 1850. Shadows make it difficult to follow branches that arch to ground, and probably sent out own roots.
Monticello, in Virginia, is a great place to visit if you are into architecture, or history of USA botany, and of course if you are interested in American history. There are some trees that Jefferson planted, though most the landscape is newer. Notable trees that were documented to be on the hill of Monticello either planted by Jefferson's slaves or growing naturally and not removed, are a Juniperus virginiana and several Mulberries. There are some great old Oaks, and Ilex too though I'm not sure when they were planted. Definitely over 150 years old.

little leaf linden-Monticello2013.jpg little leaf linden-Monticello2013b.jpg little leaf linden-Monticello2013c.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty familiar with Monticello. Grew up 30 miles from there. James Monroe's place, Ash Lawn, in on the next ridge to the south.

All of the founding fathers' estates in Va. have something to offer botanically, since most were working plantations in their time. Jefferson's is among the best for architecture and botanical history. Mt. Vernon has some original trees planted by George W. --two immense tulip poplar are the most visible. The boxwoods I post here occasionally are on the grounds of George Mason's Gunston Hall plantation just outside the city. James Madison's Montpelier plantation, further downstate, has one of the best old growth tulip poplar in the U.S. and is located one of most beautiful sites of all the old plantations in Va.

There are hundreds of notable trees around the Capital area that have less famous pedigrees though. The most famous are the cherry trees, but there are others. The two southern magnolias snug up against the White House on the south lawn were planted by Andrew Jackson, for instance. The Capitol building's grounds has dozens of "historic" trees.

Washington has been known as the "City of Trees" because there are so many big old trees around. a fact we're reminded of every winter and summer when ice and thunderstorms topple 150 ft. oaks, elms and sycamores onto houses.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There is a giant tree behind the treasury building, maybe an oak....I love checking it out when I'm there. It's the closest one to the SS checkpoint when entering the compound....
As stated above, there are many huge old trees all arouned the capitol.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Treasury building's south side? Those are willow oaks. BIG willow oaks.
The mall, from the Lincoln Memorial to Capitol Hill, has hundreds of big old American Elms, Bald Cypress, and a dozen other species. First photo is looking south from the White House to the mall. Second is one of the oldest cherry trees and third is the Japanese lantern that was donated by the Japanese government along with the second or third batch of cherries in the 50's.

Attachments

• monument.jpg
    monument.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 51
  • oldtree.jpg
    oldtree.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 52
  • lantern.jpg
    lantern.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 54

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never really got up close to it. I see it on my way to work events in the area and haven't made the effort. Nothing is close to leafing out here yet. We had single digit temps last week, snow this week and next. Another couple of weeks...

Top Bottom