Tree Seed Online

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have ordered there and do not recall any issues. They dont throw a red flag in my book.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just give them a try. Don't stress about it. I agree that you did not receive the reply you were looking for but I am sure the alternate suggestions were in good faith.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I have used them once and had no issues at all. All of mine sprouted except for the European hornbeam and prunus Spinosa but they may sprout this season. Low germination on red jap. Maples too. That is out of about 12-15 or so varieties. I did not order large quantities though so probably 30 or per variety as I didn’t want tons of seedlings. Also never follow instructions so that may have something to do with it. I generally just plant and forget. I find most conifers germinate very easily as well as oaks and beech. Seems the hardest ones to do cuttings with are the easiest for seeds (and vice versa).

Tree seeds.com is a separate company and I never got my product from them but don’t confuse the two. Scheffields is good but pricier on some unless you buy large quantities. They have by far the biggest selection. Schumachers is good but have a clunky ordering system unless they have changed. With them I placed an order and they emailed me back and wanted to set up a phone order. Plus they told me half of what I wanted was out of stock despite being in stock on the site. Seems many growers use schumachers though. Don’t use eBay. I learn that lesson a few years back.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don’t use eBay. I learn that lesson a few years back.
Most eBay sellers are selling old seed most of which is no good. Chinese and Hong Kong seed is all fraudulent.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have used them once and had no issues at all. All of mine sprouted except for the European hornbeam and prunus Spinosa but they may sprout this season. Low germination on red jap. Maples too. That is out of about 12-15 or so varieties. I did not order large quantities though so probably 30 or per variety as I didn’t want tons of seedlings. Also never follow instructions so that may have something to do with it. I generally just plant and forget. I find most conifers germinate very easily as well as oaks and beech. Seems the hardest ones to do cuttings with are the easiest for seeds (and vice versa).

Tree seeds.com is a separate company and I never got my product from them but don’t confuse the two. Scheffields is good but pricier on some unless you buy large quantities. They have by far the biggest selection. Schumachers is good but have a clunky ordering system unless they have changed. With them I placed an order and they emailed me back and wanted to set up a phone order. Plus they told me half of what I wanted was out of stock despite being in stock on the site. Seems many growers use schumachers though. Don’t use eBay. I learn that lesson a few years back.
Their website is modern and accurate now,just saying...

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shall i let you in on a secret?
Just add rusty nails to the soil.

Then usr photoshop to make yr maple bleu
Wait. Now you HAVE TO elaborate. What does adding iron do to maples?

BigJonMMXX

Seedling
Reaction score
I paid for some seeds from TreeSeedOnline Ltd (also operating as Cumbria Tree Growers). They never arrived. I had no reply to my queries - by phone, by email, by social media, by snail mail. Eventually - after 3 months - and making it clear i knew EVERYTHING about the business owner, i got a refund. No apology, no explanation, not a word. So that was my experience.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What does that mean?

It means... don't think you can hide behind a wall of silence. Give me my order, or send back my money :)

[EDIT] Note: I am responding in general to bad experiences I have had with OTHER vendors - NOT to this particular vendor, with whom I have had no experience [/EDIT]

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It means... don't think you can hide behind a wall of silence. Give me my order, or send back my money :)
Sounds pretty aggressive. I know I don't respond well to aggressive behavior.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds pretty aggressive. I know I don't respond well to aggressive behavior.

Then maybe you shouldn't keep my money :) I respond even less well to being taken to small claims court and having my name posted on the Internet with a court judgement against it (public record). If you don't like customer service and can't manage the executional complexity of selling things online, perhaps you shouldn't get into the business. Don't take my money first, and then disappear with no communication for several months and act offended when I come after you for my money.

(These comments are not directed at you, personally, but rather at unscrupulous online vendors) In today's day and age of texts and emails, what does a simple communication take? 30 seconds? "Dear buyer, a squirrel ate all my black pine seeds. I am getting more, but they will take a month to arrive. I can refund your money, or I can send you your seeds in a month. Please tell me how you would like to proceed"

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then maybe you shouldn't keep my money :) I respond even less well to being taken to small claims court and having my name posted on the Internet with a court judgement against it. If you don't like customer service and can't manage the executional complexity of selling things online, perhaps you shouldn't get into the business. Don't take my money first, and then disappear with no communication for several months and act offended when I come after you for my money.

(These comments are not directed at you, personally, but rather at unscrupulous online vendors) In today's day and age of texts and emails, what does a simple one sentence communication take? 30 seconds? "Dear buyer, a squirrel ate all my black pine seeds. I am getting more, but they will take a month to arrive. I can refund your money, or I can send you your seeds in a month. Please tell me how you would like to proceed?"
Sounds even more confrontational. But be that as it may, has anyone else here had problems with the seed company referenced?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds even more confrontational.

This is one of those times when I am completely confused by what you are saying. Are you suggesting that if someone takes your money and gives you nothing for it, and doesn't respond to any communication, that you will just let them keep your money and walk away?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is one of those times when I am completely confused by what you are saying. Are you suggesting that if someone takes your money and gives you nothing for it, and doesn't respond to any communication, that you will just let them keep your money and walk away?
I am simply saying that one's approach and attitude is everything. I have had at least 3,500 sales on the internet and well over 6,000 purchases in the past 21 years. I could count the problems on one hand that could not be resolved by communications with a buyer or seller. In those cases there were people involved that had serious mental issues. Those problems were solved by communication with moderators. No one believes for a single second that small claims court is an effective solution to recoup losses on a pack of seeds. It is a hollow threat and obvious ranting.
The post was appropriate and people should voice such concerns for the betterment of all. My reply was primarily to the poster and to others who may have had problems with the seed company involved. Personally, I have had nothing but the best of service from them.
I did not expect my reply to be likened to a dirty rug being hung out to beat. I apologize for ruffled feathers. I simply have an approach that is different than yours. Wale awy while I take a deep breath.

Top Bottom