Tree seedling online- best location?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is there a place that I can purchase seedlings. I am only looking for a few to plant. Trees for zone 6.

typoolVT

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go here. I myself bought some maple seedlings and Japanese white pine as well! He has some good stuff for sure. Good luck! Also he has an eBay page as well. Search Matt Ouwinga.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Now is really not the time to plant unless you can keep a seedling protected till' spring.I always liked http://evergreengardenworks.com
Also http://www.meehansminiatures.com

Oh my goodness! That evergreen Garden Works is a ripoff for seedlings! He wanted $65 for SEEDLINGS that were basically 2 year old plants? Insane!

Had a few nice specimen trees for sale, but those pine seedlings were out of sight!

Here is a good place I believe... Heard good stuff, never ordered. He has more than Pines, just the page I saved because I was thinking of getting one f the $12 ones...
http://kaedebonsai.com/shop/japanese-mikawa-black-pine-kuro-mastu-seedlings/

Or try Muranaka
http://www.muranakabonsai.com/shop/#

Great site, has directions in his blog on how to air layer JBP, which many people seem to spade scribe as almost impossible... He does it regularly with great success apparently.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh my goodness! That evergreen Garden Works is a ripoff for seedlings! He wanted $65 for SEEDLINGS that were basically 2 year old plants? Insane!

Which ones are you talking about? The two year old pine grafts in one gallon containers for $65? I don't think that's too bad. I just ordered some red, white and black pine seedlings from Matt o. I will report back upon receipt but. Have heard lots of good things.

Last edited:

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have purchased larger trees from Brent and have been happy. I never bought pines and not really into them now.

Thanks for the sites.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Had a few nice specimen trees for sale, but those pine seedlings were out of sight!

I didn't see pine seedlings for $65, but did see grafts for $65. If you're looking for a specific cultivar, the options can be slim. Typically his pine seedlings are right in line with the other guys.

I have been a long-time customer of Evergreen Gardenworks and without exception, I believe that his prices have been fair and the quality of his material has been outstanding. Better material leads to better bonsai.

Here are just a few examples of his material on my benches; the Itoigawa was the most expensive of the three, at $200.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 60

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've bought seedlings from Matt Ouwinga in the past - great guy, and great healthy seedlings. A couple of weeks ago I potted up a couple dozen JBP mikawas. I figure in 15 years when I am ready to retire, I'll have a few decent shohin.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't see pine seedlings for $65, but did see grafts for $65. If you're looking for a specific cultivar, the options can be slim. Typically his pine seedlings are right in line with the other guys.

I have been a long-time customer of Evergreen Gardenworks and without exception, I believe that his prices have been fair and the quality of his material has been outstanding. Better material leads to better bonsai.

Here are just a few examples of his material on my benches; the Itoigawa was the most expensive of the three, at $200.

I suppose contacting directly yields you better options than what's just on the website. This dormant season won't last too long and it might be time for a bump on the bench.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Had a few nice specimen trees for sale, but those pine seedlings were out of sight! . . .

You clearly must have been looking at the 1 gallon grafted pine cultivars for $65. From my experience with Brent, his prices are in line with his product, and his product is top notch.

Remist, The great thing about Evergreengardenworks is that most of his plants ARE NOT seedlings, they are cuttings, and when they are seedlings, he clearly spells that out. The advantage of cuttings versus seedlings are (1) immediate bloom for flowering plants {crab apples can take over 20 years to bloom from seed}, (2) known cultivars/characteristics, and (3) typically better nebari for bonsai.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Here is a good place I believe... Heard good stuff, never ordered. He has more than Pines, just the page I saved because I was thinking of getting one f the $12 ones...
http://kaedebonsai.com/shop/japanese-mikawa-black-pine-kuro-mastu-seedlings/

Or try Muranaka
http://www.muranakabonsai.com/shop/#

Great site, has directions in his blog on how to air layer JBP, which many people seem to spade scribe as almost impossible... He does it regularly with great success apparently.

I can guarantee that one thing Brent is not is a ripoff. $65.00 may or may not be expensive for a small grafted pine but I doubt you'll find the same variety and size anywhere else cheaper if at all. Sometimes it the rarity and not the size that drives the price. Bottom line is if one thinks something is too expensive then don't buy it- but don't post on a public site that the person is a ripoff just because you think it costs too much. Brent is a great nurseryman and a value to the bonsai community who makes a considerable amount of knowledge available to all for free and who sells good healthy bonsai stock- not cheap but quality.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Go here. I myself bought some maple seedlings and Japanese white pine as well! He has some good stuff for sure. Good luck! Also he has an eBay page as well. Search Matt Ouwinga.

Lol diet see u posted this one already...

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
more sources

You should also check out Wee Tree Nursery, Forest Farm, Adams Bonsai, and Stanley and Sons Nursery.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks all. Some places I see only tale paypal. So I don't have this. I have bought trees from Brent and weetree so ill check them out in spring I guess. Im really concerned about the extreme cold we are getting now.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I can guarantee that one thing Brent is not is a ripoff. $65.00 may or may not be expensive for a small grafted pine but I doubt you'll find the same variety and size anywhere else cheaper if at all. Sometimes it the rarity and not the size that drives the price. Bottom line is if one thinks something is too expensive then don't buy it- but don't post on a public site that the person is a ripoff just because you think it costs too much. Brent is a great nurseryman and a value to the bonsai community who makes a considerable amount of knowledge available to all for free and who sells good healthy bonsai stock- not cheap but quality.

Well, I am glad you guys like him. Maybe I was looking at the wrong page/ wrong plants..., but $65 for the tree I saw pictured was WAY out of line with other retailers I know of and WAY over what I would pay for a tree like that. Sugar coat it however you like... I just called it what it looked like. I can get a mature white pine with a thick trunk and tons of foliage in a 5 gallon container at the most expensive nursery in my city for $80, and they just put them on a 50% off sale (not a bonsai nursery, they just have a decent selection of junipers and pines sometimes) Comparable sized/ aged trees listed all over the net are priced at about 1/5 the cost of the plants I saw there... Again, maybe the picture was misleading, maybe it was some special cultivar that is solid gold on the inside... But the trees i saw there were "pricey"- is that a better word?

If we are talking mature stock, not "seedlings"- which is what this thread is about- it looks like Evergreen has some great trees! I never dealt with him on any purchase personally so I have no frame of reference other than the pics on his website to say whether he runs a good business or whether he is really ripping people off. If you guys know him better, then I will take your word for it- so if Brent comes here I humbly apologize for speaking out of turn! I was just trying to help the OP find a place to get seedlings...

Top Bottom