Tree styling advice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi there,

Been working with this American hornbeam for a couple of years now. I made a large chop last summer, and the tree responded well. However, I've resigned myself to the fact that the large wound is never going to heal over. Any advice on what to do with it? I expect to position the tree such that the wound faces the back. However, it's still unsightly. Should I try to carve it out?

To give you an idea of where this tree is headed, I do plan to reduce the top at some point, likely where the red line appears on the photo below.

Thanks for any feedback.

295659104_569635561375949_7214058460118808977_n.jpg

LAS

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’ve stopped worrying about trunk chops. But, that’s because I’m interested in starting to carve to create interest. So I see big wounds as opportunities to carve now.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you think large wounds, holes, scars on trees are unsightly, then maybe carving isnt for you my friend. stick a blob of paste over it, it might help you sleep better at night and reduce the nightmares😁
just the fact you have to ask, should I make a hole or should i cover it. you already answered your own question mate, just seal it up.

ps then stick it in the ground for a few years, it will heal in the ground or a large grow box allowing a sustained period of free growth year to year and a super long leader, lots of fert, and water.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAS
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If you think large wounds, holes, scars on trees are unsightly, then maybe carving isnt for you my friend. stick a blob of paste over it, it might help you sleep better at night and reduce the nightmares😁
just the fact you have to ask, should I make a hole or should i cover it. you already answered your own question mate, just seal it up.

ps then stick it in the ground for a few years, it will heal in the ground or a large grow box allowing a sustained period of free growth year to year and a super long leader, lots of fert, and water.
I don't find carving unsightly. I just find the unhealed, uncarved wound unsightly because it ruins the aesthetic. I was hoping someone could weigh in with advice on when to carve, how much to carve, whether I should wait another year to be sure the wound won't start trying to heal on its own, etc.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
here's a vid on dealing with a chop like that...

ps I carve anytime I like
I would also suggest to get out in nature and have a look at some hollow trees, maybe take some pictures, or google hollow trees/hollow bonsai trees.
For me its never been just about carving up a tree because someone suggested it on a forum😊
Its more emotional.

Last edited:
Top Bottom