Tree with snow-knee

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took this photo of a ponderosa pine with an extreme snow-knee (bend in the trunk cause by an overload of snow over the years). As with most photos of trees in the wild it is difficult to isolate it from the background.

I would like to model a pine after this example.

Attachments

• 2009-06-27_Yosemite-Wawona_.jpg
    2009-06-27_Yosemite-Wawona_.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 130

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Any more shots of this tree?
Irene

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I bought this one from Andy Smith a few years ago, it appears to be similar to your picture.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• 102B1695.jpg
    102B1695.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 81

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've have seen several yamadori pines with 'snow knees'. Most showed signs that a top (trunk) had died off at the sharp bend and a branch became the new trunk, they have the remains of a jin at the bend. So to develop a 'nursery' pine in this form chop off the trunk above the first branch and allow to grow strongly but keep it horizontal.
Another part may be to simulate a snow load by weighing down the trunk and branches during the winter to create a bent, twisted form.
It would take many, many years to grow out a tree like this. I don't think it can be done with one that already has a thick trunk.
Of course the fastest way is to buy a collected pine that already has this feature.

walt r

Last edited:

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this one from Andy Smith a few years ago, it appears to be similar to your picture.

keep it green,
Harry

I think we have a winner! I'd say pretty much what Barry is looking for. By the way, very nice tree too Harry!

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I think we have a winner! I'd say pretty much what Barry is looking for. By the way, very nice tree too Harry!

Thanks Mark, but I sold it to a friend two years ago. He has kept it in fine shape.

keep it green,
Harry

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like that pine had another tree fall on it at some point in it's life. A great picture from a great place. Thanks for posting it.

Bob

Top Bottom