Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonsai that need to be "grown-out" verses "Potatoes with leaves"...

I'm not an admirer of potatoes with leaves. I like trees that actually look like trees and I am unclear on the thinking processes of those who take trees that just need to be grown-on to a more mature state and chop them them down to a stump. In my experience, it takes about the same number of years to grow-on said young plant to a show-able condition as it takes to hide the scar made by the stumping, and when both processes are done the potato still doesn't look like a tree. The bigger to potato, the bigger the scar. Some scars look like a giant anus right there in plain sight. It almost says, "Look at me, -but don't get too close..." I admire really old trees, but I've never seen a potato tree in the flesh. I view as especially repugnant skinny sticks poking out of the potato, -even "styled" sticks. What I find really incredulous is that the same people who are devotees of potatoing espouse growing trees for twenty years before they are mature enough to be show-worthy, yet they show pictures of naked potatoes with wiry little sticks poking out as though they were some kind of artistic victory. (LOOK! It's still alive even if it's ugly enough to warrant killing!) ? Perhaps, one of you 'Taters would enlighten us? We Treeblers want to know, "How do your minds work?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No argument here. I like my bonsai to look like real trees. Yet I do have some fascination with some of the well done monstrosities you call potatoes in pretty much the way I view other odd botanicals.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wonder; should we change it from Treeblers or 'Taters to Treeblers or Odd Botanicals?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I believe this is a matter of taste. I used to despise dead wood, I used to dislike junipers because they all looked so artificial. I still do. They still do.
So I bought a bench full of junipers, and I bought a pint of lime sulfur. I'm either going to do it better, or worse, or equal. That's still my goal. I've been going down that road for a year and a bit now, and the more I progress, the more I can see why people do what they do, why they make certain design decisions and completely ignore some other options.
I can't read minds and there's too few people to talk to in real life about this, even fewer that could convince me. So I started my own journey.

I'm doing the same thing for potatoes. I don't expect others to provide me a good explanation, or a start to finish progression thread. So I just make my own.
I think parents can tell you that all other babies look like dried shrimps after they've been born, but not their own. Theirs is beautiful. I'm testing if that's true for trees as well. But I already know the answer.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This post seems to be aimed at a certain member of this forum. Are you really poking a stick at that much-respected bear?

That being said, I like well done bonsai, whether slim or fat, short or tall.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This post seems to be aimed at a certain member of this forum.
Ah, ok. So I missed the start of this thread. I was wondering why it was all so rudely written, as iff to on purpose offend people who do things different than they should be in the great mind of our bonsai guru.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This post seems to be aimed at a certain member of this forum. Are you really poking a stick at that much-respected bear?

That being said, I like well done bonsai, whether slim or fat, short or tall.
I didn't catch that. Guess I'm in the dark.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai that need to be "grown-out" verses "Potatoes with leaves"...

I'm not an admirer of potatoes with leaves. I like trees that actually look like trees and I am unclear on the thinking processes of those who take trees that just need to be grown-on to a more mature state and chop them them down to a stump. In my experience, it takes about the same number of years to grow-on said young plant to a show-able condition as it takes to hide the scar made by the stumping, and when both processes are done the potato still doesn't look like a tree. The bigger to potato, the bigger the scar. Some scars look like a giant anus right there in plain sight. It almost says, "Look at me, -but don't get too close..." I admire really old trees, but I've never seen a potato tree in the flesh. I view as especially repugnant skinny sticks poking out of the potato, -even "styled" sticks. What I find really incredulous is that the same people who are devotees of potatoing espouse growing trees for twenty years before they are mature enough to be show-worthy, yet they show pictures of naked potatoes with wiry little sticks poking out as though they were some kind of artistic victory. (LOOK! It's still alive even if it's ugly enough to warrant killing!) ? Perhaps, one of you 'Taters would enlighten us? We Treeblers want to know, "How do your minds work?

have you ever actually worked with trees that were "stumps" or just chumming the water with BS?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW,

Oak stump -- trunk is 260 years old. Branching is 25
oakie2.jpg

Cedar elm stump--trunk is 50, all branching including the top third of the trunk is less than 25 years old

ce1.jpg

Boxwood stump--apex and all branching less than 15 years. Trunk is from a 50 year old hedge chopped down in Arlington...
boxwood3.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
have you ever actually worked with trees that were "stumps" or just chumming the water with BS?
If I don't like the results of others who are ~skilled~ in the endeavor, why would I try my hand? This is a FORUM. I didn't think we were restricted from poking bears or chumming. Speaking of which, I believe you have a pretty full tackle box and a whole rack of long sticks...
You might try outlining why it's a productive process to get from hither to yon, or what the standards of "beauty" or objective, or________________(insert adjective here) are/should be. Or, just present another view. I'm sure the bears can and will present their views themselves, too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
FWIW,

View attachment 235364
FWIW,

View attachment 235364

Cedar elm stump--trunk is 50, all branching including the top third of the trunk is less than 25 years old

View attachment 235365

Boxwood stump--apex and all branching less than 15 years. Trunk is from a 50 year old hedge chopped down in Arlington...
View attachment 235366

I am digging that oak!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I don't like the results of others who are ~skilled~ in the endeavor, why would I try my hand? This is a FORUM. I didn't think we were restricted from poking bears or chumming. Speaking of which, I believe you have a pretty full tackle box and a whole rack of long sticks...
You might try outlining why it's a productive process to get from hither to yon, or what the standards of "beauty" or objective, or________________(insert adjective here) are/should be. Or, just present another view. I'm sure the bears can and will present their views themselves, too.
I have no idea what the hell you're talking about with the "full tackle box" stuff. If you have something to say, skip the BS and get down to it. And BTW, fish or cut bait, post some individual close ups of your trees and lets talk comparisons...

Top Bottom