• 'Tater

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to replace my control arms, ball joints brakes, shocks and a valve cover gasket
That sounds like a fatal contraption.
Is it the same one I was riding around in?

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So sumo bonsai are obviously OLD trees... Why are people who's trees aren't even half that old trying to critique the style calling them potatoes with leaves? I commend anyone who can skillfully keep a tree alive that long and even more so if it's well styled. Growing just the trunk of a sumo takes more skill than even training a young tree to look like a bonsai. Sure u can create a tree looking sapling in 7 years but an old anchient looking tree is simply majestic. Sounds like an angry hobbiest just wanted to raise his sword to skilled practitioners. People like sumo bonsai for similar reasons that people like giant old trees. And to everyone saying they don't care about others opinions, why are you on a bonsai fourm? This is not kindergarten show and tell, if ya can't take the heat stay out of the sun!
(Drops mic and walks off)

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If a person goes into the wild and see something that can be beautiful in a different setting. Then that person collects the thing and creates a setting to show it. While that person may not have any hand in the actual creation of the thing, what is done can still be considered art.
How the person manipulates and presents that setting differentiates between a good and great artist.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As an example; I can't stand Shiner Bock beer. But that says more about me than it does about that particular beer and/or those who might like it (if there in fact are such people).
Have you tried the Ruby Redbird or the Prickly Pear? I have drank my fair share of Shiner...especially when I lived down there for a few months. I am pretty sure I visited the brewery one night...but I can't remember exactly. Which leads me to believe I DID...

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have you tried the Ruby Redbird or the Prickly Pear?

I think not.
I am a complete beer snob...and living in the PNW, source of some of the worlds best beer not to mention living in the hops Mecca ("Yakima. We grow your beer"), I am also totally and un-apologetically spoiled rotten. ;-P
FYI I have spent time in Golden Co and St Louis, and despite the free tour/tastings did not as much as step foot in the Coors or Budweiser breweries. Like I said, that says much about me but nothing more. However, that realization won't stop me from a little good natured teasing of my "BMC" drinking friends.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I used to be a beer snob when I could be. Now Sam Adams is considered craft beer where I live. Precious memories... :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My goodness. I read more posts in this thread than I have in a week. Pretty entertaining. @Forsoothe! Why go through the trouble of arguing, insulting and baiting over such a trivial topic? Thank goodness the senior members of this site take these attacks as mere conjecture. I’ve gained nothing but wisdom, insight and truth on this site even when I don’t want to hear it. I only want to get better and that’s why I come back. If I ask a stupid question I get a stupid answer. If I’m thoughtful, the same goes. I can appreciate that, I’m just getting better and this sight is on point for doing so. @rockm @Brian Van Fleet @Smoke @Adair M @Dav4 @coh @Mellow Mullet @JudyB (im sure I missed some) please continue to speak truth, I love that shit. As a self employed, full time artist, I appreciate craft and practice at the highest level, regardless of being a tater or treebler. Some trees I like, some I don’t. This forum and site I LOVE.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I took Sorce off ignore the picture just keeps getting clearer......

Last weekend I skipped the repair due to 6 inches of slushy snow.
Good thing since I made 3-5 bicycle trips to the shop for odd BS...new parts found broke, wrench...wrench...grease...blah...

20190421_084122.jpg

Shower...beer 30 with a tree! Maybe dig one!

Cheers!

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Saw a super phat olive yesterday- nothing natural about that. (Rolls eyes()
BE919142-2679-46CC-8FF1-E5907153F3C7.jpeg

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Last weekend I skipped the repair due to 6 inches of slushy snow.
Good thing since I made 3-5 bicycle trips to the shop for odd BS...new parts found broke, wrench...wrench...grease...blah...

View attachment 238881

Shower...beer 30 with a tree! Maybe dig one!

Cheers!

Sorce

I did brake and rotor job this weekend on my wifes outback....i hate car work.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The sign says “in training since 1928”. While I can believe that it’s been in a pot that long, I disagree with the their use of the term “training”.

I don't believe a European Olive has been trained OR potted for bonsai since 1928.

PreWar?

Europe?

Doubt!

They probly planted the grove in 1928.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't believe a European Olive has been trained OR potted for bonsai since 1928.

PreWar?

Europe?

Doubt!

They probly planted the grove in 1928.

Sorce
European Olive is what they call all the “Mission Olives” in California. They were planted in the late 1700’s all over California.

So, it’s possible.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The posts of your tree was a yard sale of a bunch of bonsai people. The pictures are from so far away no one can tell what they are. If you have a weenie between your legs post a picture of a tree in a suitable picture like everyone else does.

Remember a picture is worth a thousand words and just bantor will usually end quickly as soon as you post a pic. My fortune telling instinct says that is the reason you don't post. I been here since the beginning and 10 years before that. I have seen your kind a hundred times. All mouth and no trees. When finally a tree is posted, the thread just goes away. Of course if your a whiny snowflake democrat, even the truth is not enough for someone like you. Next thing you will want me to submit seven years of tax records.......
I may not always like you’re approach because I question everything and you’re the kind to say shut up and do it my way. (I am listening even as I pester you with what if’s!) But you do grow beautiful trees and taters!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I would like to add my $0.02 and mention that people often confuse their personal taste/preference with what is right/wrong. e.g. "I'm not an admirer of potatoes with leaves. I like trees that actually look like trees..." Well, good for you, but so what?
As an example; I can't stand Shiner Bock beer. But that says more about me than it does about that particular beer and/or those who might like it (if there in fact are such people).
Don’t be dissing the shiner! It’s good for what it is. You can’t ask for craft creativity from Germans in TX a hundred years ago! They wanted to make money so they made a mainstream beer. Just like if you want to sell or show bonsai you have to be somewhat mainstream. I’m one that questions, like forsoothe but I also understand I can learn from the old timers and they have helped me a ton! I’m still at sticks in pots and am loving the horticulture aspects. Not as much as cmeg and a few others of course! But I am trying to find my style, I don’t want to be a rebel but I also want to do some different trees. Some of them Forsoothe would like. Others probably not. But I don’t care what he likes or smoke or anyone else. I’m doing bonsai because I’ve been interested in it since I saw a several hundred year old cypress at Shelby Gardens in Sarasota. Evidently they’ve added more bonsai than just that one, so I’m going there ASAP. I want to see and do good bonsai and then apply those concepts to my personal projects. This whole thread has been a CF but at least some nuggets were scattered through it. It’s funny because both sides have valid points but being an iconoclast for the sake of it is a waste of breath. I think forsoothes point about feeling bullied can happen. Perhaps some people should have a warning label. Lmao. But Smoke is one of the people I’ve learned a lot from. He never hesitated to share his knowledge. Sometimes in a... shall I say brusque manner? But it didn’t take long to figure out who knew there stuff in here and who was blowing smoke (pun not intended!). I hate the animosity in these threads because in real life they would probably get along. A love of trees goes beyond Internet forums. The forums though are where everyone’s worst sides come to light.

Top Bottom