Trees at the end of their life cycle

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey nuts, there are a few threads with inspiration trees from the wild, but im creating this thread specifically for trees that are nearing the end of their life cycle!

I feel like we can learn a lot by studying these types of trees. They have heavily pronounced aged features that we're all trying to apply to our trees! So here's the first tree, a pretty popular one, the angel oak tree B0kT7XfIIAADR6E.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is a classic old oak - and it looks like one... but different tree families will look different as old trees. Maybe this is what you meant by "studying" these trees? For example an old elm:

img_1129.jpg

An old pine:

battered-spliced-pine-tree-cyprus-troodos-4.jpg

An old juniper...

efc5cfbaa393f42e3d290030fbc43703.jpg

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes perhaps I worded it a little funny! But that's what I'm looking for! I live in an area where there is little to no old growth forests. Nothing really over 60 years old.... So I've never even seen an ancient elm!

Hopefully we can get a wide variety of very old tree species now

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is a classic old oak - and it looks like one... but different tree families will look different as old trees. Maybe this is what you meant by "studying" these trees? For example an old elm:

View attachment 166346

An old pine:

View attachment 166347

An old juniper...

View attachment 166348
Yes perhaps I worded it a little funny! But that's what I'm looking for! I live in an area where there is little to no old growth forests. Nothing really over 60 years old.... So I've never even seen an ancient elm!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The trees posted especially the Oak and Elm dont look like they're nearing the end, they look to be thriving, even the pine and juniper look to be in great health.

These Oaks are nearing the end
IMG_8322 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_8406 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_8469 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9546 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9820 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9826 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This tree has fallen but lives
IMG_9850 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This Oak doesnt have long left, most of its trunk has died off
IMG_4308 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_4322 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_4341 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Beech hollow trunk
IMG_4420 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This oak is split in half
IMG_4466 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_4491 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The trees posted especially the Oak and Elm dont look like they're nearing the end, they look to be thriving, even the pine and juniper look to be in great health.

These Oaks are nearing the end
IMG_8322 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_8406 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_8469 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9546 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9820 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_9826 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This tree has fallen but lives
IMG_9850 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This Oak doesnt have long left, most of its trunk has died off
IMG_4308 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_4322 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_4341 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Beech hollow trunk
IMG_4420 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This oak is split in half
IMG_4466 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_4491 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Yeah this is what I was looking for! Each one is so unique and probably has an amazing story as to how they they look the way they do now

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

You really don't get out much, do you. You need to Google old growth, and state champion trees, Indiana has a few patches of old growth forest. Get over to Indiana Dunes National Seashore. In the inter-dune zones, the are a few patches of old growth. Brown County has a few patches of old growth. Warren Dunes in SW Michigan has a patch of old growth. Near Lafayette along the Wabash River there is a remnant. Shades State Park, near Turkey Run State Park also has an old growth remnant.

You got to get out of the car and walk, old growth only exists where terrain made logging difficult.

So look, read, explore. I bet there are at least 3 remnants of old growth forest within 150 miles of your current location. Googl, and Google maps. Then read state park websites. Also check nature conservancy websites. A little research and you will find your local old growth.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You really don't get out much, do you. You need to Google old growth, and state champion trees, Indiana has a few patches of old growth forest. Get over to Indiana Dunes National Seashore. In the inter-dune zones, the are a few patches of old growth. Brown County has a few patches of old growth. Warren Dunes in SW Michigan has a patch of old growth. Near Lafayette along the Wabash River there is a remnant. Shades State Park, near Turkey Run State Park also has an old growth remnant.

You got to get out of the car and walk, old growth only exists where terrain made logging difficult.

So look, read, explore. I bet there are at least 3 remnants of old growth forest within 150 miles of your current location. Googl, and Google maps. Then read state park websites. Also check nature conservancy websites. A little research and you will find your local old growth.
I do get out.. quite a bit actually. I've been to Warren Dunes, shades, and turkey run. The Indiana Dunes are my backyard, I'm there every month. I've seen big trees at all locations, but nothing that has truly blown me away...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I post these a lot, but here they are again. Old "dwarf" boxwood at George Mason's plantation --Gunston Hall--on the Potomac. Original boxwood landscape plants, but leave something like that alone for 250 years or so and this is what happens.

Attachments

• dwarfbox1.jpg
    dwarfbox1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 51
  • dwarfbox2.jpg
    dwarfbox2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 51
  • dwarfbox3.jpg
    dwarfbox3.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 53
  • dwarfbox6.jpg
    dwarfbox6.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 50
  • dwarfbox5.jpg
    dwarfbox5.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 46
  • dwarfbox7.jpg
    dwarfbox7.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 47
  • dwarfbox4.jpg
    dwarfbox4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 47

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I post these a lot, but here they are again. Old "dwarf" boxwood at George Mason's plantation --Gunston Hall--on the Potomac. Original boxwood landscape plants, but leave something like that alone for 250 years or so and this is what happens.
Well I haven't seen these before so I'm glad you shared them! Amazing specimen

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I do get out.. quite a bit actually. I've been to Warren Dunes, shades, and turkey run. The Indiana Dunes are my backyard, I'm there every month. I've seen big trees at all locations, but nothing that has truly blown me away...

Ah, guess I should not tease you. Sometimes old growth does not look like the book or magazine portraits. The patches of old growth ate small, usually less than 20 acres, and are hidden by 2nd growth. Ask rangers at each park where the remnants are. Don't say you belong to a group, like bonsai society or orchid society, as these clubs have a high percentage of poachers. Just be curious and they will help.

There is a classic remnant beech forest in Hubbard's Woods, near Dayton Ohio, this is easy, a hike trail right to the Grove, only a few acres but impressive.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ah, guess I should not tease you. Sometimes old growth does not look like the book or magazine portraits. The patches of old growth ate small, usually less than 20 acres, and are hidden by 2nd growth. Ask rangers at each park where the remnants are. Don't say you belong to a group, like bonsai society or orchid society, as these clubs have a high percentage of poachers. Just be curious and they will help.

There is a classic remnant beech forest in Hubbard's Woods, near Dayton Ohio, this is easy, a hike trail right to the Grove, only a few acres but impressive.
I guess that's where I fail.. I'm more of a "I'll do it myself and figure it out myself!"kind of guy... So I more than likely just walk past them:/

Next time I'll make a point to ask the rangers where to look!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
A old Lodgepole on the river here. Dwarf Mistletoe caused this unusual branch formation. Reminds me of Saguaro Cactus of all things. But this year Pine Beetle hit it hard. I don't expect it to survive another year. IMG_2002.JPG

Old Whitebark Pine at high elevation here. Only the bottom right branches are still alive. Kind of deceiving as those branches could outlive us. But overall the entire grove here is dying out.IMG_0395.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This trees look like Limber, could be Pinion needles are too short for Lodge Pole or Ponderosa. Coulld be as an outside guess Bristle Cone. I agree with the concept of good material making for good bonsai. I also believe that if you don't know dog doodie from chocolate cake you shouldn't be harvesting 200 year old trees.

Top Bottom