Trees comfortable in Northwest Ohio

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking to add trees that enjoy my zone.

From what I read here, I'm thinking Beech and Larch might fit the bill and sound interesting and challenging. Anybody got pre- or young bonsai to donate or sell to a young enthusiast?

Or perhaps you have other zone 6a favorites to recommend...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a large carving project crabapple that I'd be happy to sell you cheap if you're interested and would come pick it up! I also have a Korean Hornbeam that is a big trunk and needs a lot of development in the branching department. It's another tree I'd rather have someone pickup but it could ship. LMK if you're interested at all.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a large carving project crabapple that I'd be happy to sell you cheap if you're interested and would come pick it up! I also have a Korean Hornbeam that is a big trunk and needs a lot of development in the branching department. It's another tree I'd rather have someone pickup but it could ship. LMK if you're interested at all.
@JudyB ... I'm not ready to learn carving yet, but both sound like trees I could get to learn. Perhaps we can coordinate something during the Columbus Bonsai Club show later this month?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That would be fine. I can also send you some photos ahead. The carving is mostly done on the crab, but there is still some to do.

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

If John isn't interested in those trees I might take them off your hands. I need some trees that don't need to grow out like most of what I currently have. Can you post some pictures or PM then to me. I'm near Akron/Cleveland so I could easily come pick something up. Also planning to go to the Columbus show. But he's got first dibs.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If John isn't interested in those trees I might take them off your hands. I need some trees that don't need to grow out like most of what I currently have. Can you post some pictures or PM then to me. I'm near Akron/Cleveland so I could easily come pick something up. Also planning to go to the Columbus show. But he's got first dibs.
Very good, both of these trees are things I've been meaning to post up and move out, but never got around to it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm likely to bring them home from the Columbus show, but looks like I might get to meet you there, too!

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are looking for natives I would recommend larch, hornbeam, elm. I've had good experiences so far. All tough trees which will survive winter with a minimum of protection (like burying in mulch). Larch would probably even make it unprotected without any issues. I think it's cold hardy to zone 2.

If interested in pine you could go for Scots pine or Japanese red pine. Not native but good for bonsai.

Junipers like shimpaku or procumbens seem to do fine for me.

I don't think I have much of anything that would be good pre bonsai like you are looking for. Most of my stuff is long term project material. I'll look again and see if I have anything that might fit the bill though and let you know.

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, I have a ton of Japanese black pine seedlings that I started this year. If you're interested I'll give you some. I don't have much experience with them or know if they thrive in zone 6 over the long term. Maybe others can weigh in.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not in NW Ohio, but similar zone (NW NY state). So far, I really haven't found any species to be particularly troublesome. Our summers generally are not hot enough to bother things like larch (though you might well be hotter there) and if you provide the right winter protection, you should have no problems even with things like trident maples or Japanese black pine. I have no experience with beech.

Good luck!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also...you're not that far away, if you can manage a trip to the National Exhibition in Rochester in September, it'll blow your mind! Talk about inspiration!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Columbus in July show will be my first ever. I'm wiggling in my chair already.

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Columbus in July show will be my first ever. I'm wiggling in my chair already.

FYI the Cleveland bonsai club usually has a show every year. Also you should see what events are going on in Michigan since you are so close.

Top Bottom