Trees confused about the weather.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, my trees aren't wearing miniskirts and furry boots in February, but I am seeing a few apical buds trying to open up in this warm spell. Mainly happening on some collected hornbeams, and all the confused buds are in the Apex of the tree. They are in morning sun but shaded the rest of the day.

Is this a sign that they are trying to break dormancy? I'm assuming these buds will die off next week when we return to more normal winter temperatures, but I'd hate it if this will affect the whole tree as I've worked pretty hard to raise vigor in this material so I can start real work on it next year.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a cherry tree, too young for flowers, that is on the verge of leafing out. I guess multiple 70+ days in the last couple of weeks will do that.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They just do as instructed by nature. It happens sometimes. That doesn't mean they're confused, they're following protocol.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please post pictures of the entire trees with information about work done this year with times. Moon phases optional.

I have a Juniper that suffered all year, and came back around a week before the snow in October, it's still green and has been growing this passed week of 60F.
Everything else is dormant.

What has your weather been like between "dormancy" and now?
Did they go to sleep sleep yet?

Asking for 10 thousand friends!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'll see buds on certain deciduous trees slowly swell though the winter. As long as they don't open, you're good. I wouldn't hesitate to get them into as much shade as possible, though. They don't need sun right now and will wake up too early if the sun continues to warm them up over the next few months.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I too am concerned seeing my Chinese quinces moving this early. All four of them. An airlayer I repotted in the fall has opened buds, and it looks like I will have to do the shuffle for the rest of the winter.

Thankfully, nothing else seems to be moving at the moment.

Top Bottom