Trees for sale...pickup in Rochester NY

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several trees that I'm looking to sell. They are large enough that I'd rather not have to deal with shipping at this time. So, I'm making them available but subject to the constraint that they be picked up in Rochester during the National Exhibition. I know this will limit potential buyers somewhat :) but if you're coming for the exhibition (or have a friend who would be willing to pick them up) and see something that interests you, send me a PM. Prices are very reasonable.

I should mention one other constraint is that the tree will have to be purchased and paid for before pickup. I'm not authorized to vend at the Exhibition so I can't bring trees for you to look at and consider...any sales must be completed in advance.

First tree is a 3-trunk willow oak that I obtained from Jay Wilson in 2014, I think. I like the tree but I don't think I can provide the best conditions for it. It holds its leaves through the winter and I don't have a location that gets enough light while maintaining the right temperature range (tree is from Florida originally). I think this is why I'm having some trouble with the lower branches weakening a bit. It produces several flushes of growth each season (currently there is vigorous new growth from the apex), and the new shoots and leaves are a very nice red color.

Current photo from what I like as the front:

willow_oak_aug2018a.jpg

With 12" ruler for scale:

willow_oak_aug2018b.jpg

From the back:

willow_oak_aug2018c.jpg

Close up of the base, I think it's about 3.5" across

willow_oak_aug2018d.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second tree is a ficus that I obtained from Fred at Hollow Creek a few years ago. Not sure of the variety, some type of microcarpa I believe. Large trunk with movement to the right. I forgot to include the ruler for scale and will have to take some measurements tomorrow, but I think the base is 4-5" across. I was experimenting with fusing branches and as a result there are several large branches or subtrunks that come off the main trunk, including one from the apex. I think several of these are too thick and should probably be removed (or at least cut way back), maybe most of them would be best removed and new growth trained closer to the trunk. Tree is in need of repotting.

Our growing season is just not long/hot enough to really do these justice, and I just don't have a good wintering spot for it. Maybe someone further south or with a greenhouse would like to work with this.

I'll post a couple more tomorrow.

leaning_ficus_aug2018a.jpg

leaning_ficus_aug2018b.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, so the ficus above has a base of 5-6" depending on the viewing angle.

Here are a couple more. First is a ponderosa pine that I got from Andy Smith (Golden Arrow Bonsai) 5 or so years ago. It was one of his burlap bonanza trees. It has been repotted a couple of times with some of the original field soil removed each time. Definitely due for another repotting in the spring. Single trunk, nice bark, movement (and flexible). The needles are huge because I've been feeding heavily to build foliage mass and get back budding (limited success so far). Trunk base is about 2"

If I were to keep this one I'd probably remove that lowest branch and build the tree out of the higher branches, possibly graft on JBP or Scots pine.

pondy_1a.jpg

pondy_1b.jpg

pondy_1c.jpg

pondy_1d.jpg

Reactions: GGB

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally, another ponderosa, also a burlap bonanza tree obtained at the same time as the previous one. This also has about a 2" base, but has 3 trunks. I think this could be made into an interesting multiple trunked bonsai but would almost certainly need grafting...the foliage is just too coarse for such delicate trunks.

I also have some JM and trident seedlings (several years old) that are available but need to take pics.

pondy_2a.jpg

pondy_2b.jpg

pondy_2c.jpg

pondy_2d.jpg

pondy_2e.jpg

tlynchjr

Seedling
Reaction score
could you PM me with pine information and price. I am from Buffalo NY

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Hope they get to new homes safely!

S

Cloudsgrow

Sapling
Reaction score
Second tree is a ficus that I obtained from Fred at Hollow Creek a few years ago. Not sure of the variety, some type of microcarpa I believe. Large trunk with movement to the right. I forgot to include the ruler for scale and will have to take some measurements tomorrow, but I think the base is 4-5" across. I was experimenting with fusing branches and as a result there are several large branches or subtrunks that come off the main trunk, including one from the apex. I think several of these are too thick and should probably be removed (or at least cut way back), maybe most of them would be best removed and new growth trained closer to the trunk. Tree is in need of repotting.

Our growing season is just not long/hot enough to really do these justice, and I just don't have a good wintering spot for it. Maybe someone further south or with a greenhouse would like to work with this.

I'll post a couple more tomorrow.

View attachment 208167

View attachment 208168
Im in Dutchess county ny, can you pm me with a price for this guy? Thanks

Top Bottom