Trees I displayed at the ABAS Spring Show last weekend.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Oregon Oak, Quercus garryana, started with a 5 gallon landscape nursery tree five year ago.

ABAS 2016 003.jpg

Shimpaku. This is a tanuki I made a few years ago. I attached a kishu shimpaku to a piece of deadwood from a Utah Juniper a few years ago.

ABAS 2016 004.jpg

California Buckeye, Aesculus californica. I collected this ten years ago and its a monster! Weighs ovr 200 pounds and getting it to the show was work. The base is over 12 inches across.

buckeye 4-10-16.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good work! I love the oak, reminds me of the big old oaks where I grew up. Thanks for posting!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree's, the second accent 'plant' is cool man. The last tree I don't understand, must be me.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the oak! Regarding the buckeye, curious to see what the trunk/branch structure underneath looks like. Any chance you have a winter photo of that?

Chris

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I really like the oak! Regarding the buckeye, curious to see what the trunk/branch structure underneath looks like. Any chance you have a winter photo of that?

Chris
The buckeye has a long way to go in branch development, was just the trunk when I collected it so all of the branches were regrown and are still pencil size. I like it for the massive ,gnarly trunk.

buckeye 002.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
WOW - Hella trunk! Makes me miss having a larger property a bit. That Oak is impressive container grown as well! I have been working with Junipers for a few years now, getting my hands dirty and figuring out their mystery's - Itoigawa, Kishu, and Shimpaku junipers are becoming some of my favorite plants and your Kishu is indeed nicely done! Thank you for sharing!

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Being an Ohio gal...the Buckeye impressed me...big fella indeed. :cool: Nicely done tanuki as well...love the movement in that dead wood and the canopy of the shimpaku well done...allowing that deadwood still show off. And the oak...hard to believe only 5 yeas in training.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What a huge monster man! :D It can eat small children perhaps :p

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The buckeye has a long way to go in branch development, was just the trunk when I collected it so all of the branches were regrown and are still pencil size. I like it for the massive ,gnarly trunk.

View attachment 101276
I remember the tree from when I lived in California. It had beautiful flowers and the trunks were very much like the one you hve as well. Has yours ever bloomed?

Top Bottom