trees in refrigerator?

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I won't be able to plant my bonsai trees in the ground for several weeks, and the temps here are about to go to the 20's and 30's. I have some trident maples. anyone know if putting them in the fridge would be ok? maybe in a sealed bag? I would guess mold could be an issue perhaps?

thanks.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Read this article, especially towards the end where it gives some sound advice on overwintering in your fridge. This is from a very reputable and well regarded source.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

Really good source indeed however I don't see why trident maples won't be able to spend winter outside in PA?...

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Really good source indeed however I don't see why trident maples won't be able to spend winter outside in PA?...

I plan to bury the tridents in the ground, outside. but for the next few weeks, they will be on a patio, and the temps will be cycling between 20's and 30's, so wasn't sure if freezing and thawing like that for several weeks would be a problem. in the ground it's more stable, temp-wise.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok. You fall sucks more than ours, at least this year. :)
Were are still in the 40-50s, sometime closer to 60.

In the 'Evergreen garden works' site quoted above you'll find advice about winter protection (in the 'articles' section).
May be just a stay in a garage or un-heated room for the moment while waiting to be buried in the ground?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

I plan to bury the tridents in the ground, outside. but for the next few weeks, they will be on a patio, and the temps will be cycling between 20's and 30's, so wasn't sure if freezing and thawing like that for several weeks would be a problem. in the ground it's more stable, temp-wise.

Instead of burying the pots, why don't you just mulch the pots with wood chips in a location out of the sun and wind? Pots buried in the ground could have issues with drainage that could compromise the roots. If possible, place the pots along the northern side of your home's foundation and mulch them in there. A wind break (burlap?) would complete your winterization, imo.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok. You fall sucks more than ours, at least this year. :)
Were are still in the 40-50s, sometime closer to 60.

In the 'Evergreen garden works' site quoted above you'll find advice about winter protection (in the 'articles' section).
May be just a stay in a garage or un-heated room for the moment while waiting to be buried in the ground?

I live in an apartment (with patio), so i'm kind of limited with options.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would get a cheap plastic tote and a bag of mulch. Poke some generous size holes in the bottom of the tote for drainage then burry your trees up to their trunks in the mulch. Leave the top off. Keep the entire thing shaded as much as you can. The mulch should keep the root temperature more consistent and the top of the tote will act as a wind break.

When you are ready to move it to your final wintering spot you can move the whole thing and just leave the trees where they are. Maybe add some more mulch around the tote to keep the temp constant and add some burlap as more of a wind break. Good luck.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I believe it was Mach5 that used the refrigerator and heavily damaged a shohin acer palmatum. I don't think it is as easy as it seems. Or maybe he was trying to extend winter... I do not remember.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I believe it was Mach5 that used the refrigerator and heavily damaged a shohin acer palmatum. I don't think it is as easy as it seems. Or maybe he was trying to extend winter... I do not remember.

Max, yes that was me. I have a few Kiyo Hime maples that had their buds swell in mid February. I an effort to try and stall them, I placed them inside the fridge for a few weeks. Despite being kept well watered, they suffered severe damage killing most of the branches. The cold, dry air inside most likely desiccated the delicate twigs. Pics below.

Be careful if anyone decides to go this route!!

Pictured below are the trees when they were placed inside the fridge.

This is the tree that suffered the most damage.

Last edited:

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
do u think if u had put them in bags they would not have dried out so much?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
do u think if u had put them in bags they would not have dried out so much?

Yes I noticed this was a point made in the article that I neglected to do. So yes I think is very possible I may have prevented the damage with placing bags over them.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Back in 1998 or 1999, my brother-law-asked this question on IBC when it was an e-mail list and Jim Lewis suggested bags.
However he had using a fridge since 1982 or so, on Hackberrys from Louisiana, and in the from 94, a trident maple, also a ginkgo.
Last year he tested a second batch of apples trees, and few junipers, just to see

With the hackberrys, one was semi-lost, dried out and a root connected to the trunk started over. Now there are many hackberrys from roots, testing to see if any will go tropical.
Ginkgo doing well, Trident as you might have read died after 16 years.
Apple trees fine, and junipers are also fine.

The fridge is set to vegetable crisper cold and the trees are checked every two weeks.
"Winter" starts around the 25th of January,ends April 1st.

Airlayered a branch off of the Ginkgo, and will be testing that in the fridge as well.

Oh, one of the Hackberrys is South African, seed from Chilterns.

Trident died from overwet soil and lack of attention paid to it, house building takes it toil, house also took the Hackberry, dried out in the refrigerator.
Good Day
Anthony .

Top Bottom