Trees new to my climate!

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have new trees coming in to New York City from California. Specifically a Premna and Viet Bluebell. As it is now winter, I’m worried on how the trees will react to its new climate. I have been reading and have seen people say to bring them inside as they will not stand temps below 50F degrees.

My questions are do I bring them into my living room for the winter to get them the most sunlight and stay in temps of 60-70F or do I put them in the garage with a grow light in temps of 45-60F to get them acclimated (was also thinking of burying them in mulch in a bin if I go the garage route) to my climate?

Any input helps! Thanks in advance!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So window sill for the winter will be fine for them? And thank you!
No problem!

Depends. I have never even been to NYC, so have little idea about the winter weather there. I’m assuming it’s pretty grey.

Here in Denver, we have 300+ days of sunshine every year. My tropicals do great in a south-facing windowsill over the winter. However, in NYC you may need supplemental light. Your garage sounds too cold, though.

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
yea the winters here are exactly that with only a few hours of “good full sunlight”. Purchased a reputable grow light ahead of time in assumption I would need supplemental light as you said. Thanks again!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My questions are do I bring them into my living room for the winter to get them the most sunlight and stay in temps of 60-70F or do I put them in the garage with a grow light in temps of 45-60F to get them acclimated (was also thinking of burying them in mulch in a bin if I go the garage route) to my climate?
I have not grown premna, but I have also read they don’t like cooler temps. If you bought them, just ask the seller how they are growing them. I wouldn’t be surprised if the premna are in a greenhouse now in SoCal as temps are below 50F. I would not let it get below 60F and would give it artificial light. Despite always wanting one, I never bought one in SoCal because our coastal weather was just too cool. I just saw the below on Instagram recently on winter moisture requirements for premna.

5CDE767E-38A2-4CD3-AE06-016379F95692.png

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
I have not grown premna, but I have also read they don’t like cooler temps. If you bought them, just ask the seller how they are growing them. I wouldn’t be surprised if the premna are in a greenhouse now in SoCal as temps are below 50F. I would not let it get below 60F and would give it artificial light. Despite always wanting one, I never bought one in SoCal because our coastal weather was just too cool. I just saw the below on Instagram recently on winter moisture requirements for premna.

View attachment 465029
Thanks for the input! Yea the seller told me she currently has it in a greenhouse this time of the year which I don’t have and wish I did. I have a nice spot on my window sill that usually stays no lower than 60 and a grow light ready.

Interesting post, the tree is still pre bonsai in a plastic pot so it should have sufficient soil/moisture to keep it steady (I hope)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Bintrill
Check your windowsill. I live in a 100 year old wood frame farm house. Even with the storm windows in place, there are cold drafts coming through the window frames. And cold air falls off the glass down to the window sills when we have our freezing weather. It is common for pots on my window sills to chill well below 60F in cold weather. A shelf set a couple inches away from the window sill might be safer for your warm blooded tropical. An air gap between the shelf and the windowsill will let cold air fall to the floor. I never put warm growing orchids on my window sills in winter. Just a suggestion.

Bintrill

Seedling
Reaction score
@Bintrill
Check your windowsill. I live in a 100 year old wood frame farm house. Even with the storm windows in place, there are cold drafts coming through the window frames. And cold air falls off the glass down to the window sills when we have our freezing weather. It is common for pots on my window sills to chill well below 60F in cold weather. A shelf set a couple inches away from the window sill might be safer for your warm blooded tropical. An air gap between the shelf and the windowsill will let cold air fall to the floor. I never put warm growing orchids on my window sills in winter. Just a suggestion.
Wow I didn’t even think of that. Thanks for the heads up. I just got the trees in today so as you can imagine I’ll be watching them like a hawk. I even have a temp gun my house has to check temps from the pandemic so will use that often on the pots lol. Will probably move further from window anyway like you suggest. Thanks!

Top Bottom