Trees on the Big Screen: Swordfish (2001) Bonsai Scene??

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have a vague memory of a scene in a movie (I'm pretty sure it was Swordfish, but I could be wrong).

Basically: a super rich guy (probably John Travolta's character) had a waiting room in his villain lair that had four tokonoma-like "hutches," each climate controlled to maintain a bonsai tree in a different season.

I'm pretty sure the trees were all the same species (probably deciduous, for the spring/summer/fall/winter leaf displays).

Can anyone confirm this? I can't find a picture/video of it online anywhere. I'm willing to find a copy of the movie and grab the images I want, but I don't want to have to sit through Swordfish again if it's the wrong one.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ducking dinally.

I finally broke down and rewatched Swordfish to find this damn scene and guess what? It holds up better than you might expect. But there's also no bonsai.

So I start googling for lists of movies with bonsai in them (I am pretty annoyed at getting hits for Karate Kid). No dice. Even on this crazy site.

So, I go back to basics. I thought it was an aught's era movie involving a bad man pressuring an innocent hacker type to do his bidding. Which, is basically the plot of every movie about hackers. So, I started looking at lists of movies about hackers, and as soon as I saw the word Antitrust, I knew that I had it.

Some screen grabs below... the trees are in climate controlled terrariums in Tim Robbins' character's office. You get glimpses of them in a bunch of different scenes, but in my quick scrubbing through (I absolutely refuse to watch this movie) I could only really get a good shot of "winter" - - probably because the trees are fake. I'm just glad to know that I'm not crazy. Screenshot_20190817-213013.jpgScreenshot_20190817-212857.jpgScreenshot_20190817-213304.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yowza :D
good things good things

ok, I will not rewatch the series Hannibal I used to fall asleep to (great dreams right!??) but it was slow enough to sleep..and that joker often had a tree by the window in his office, it changed too...usually or always it seriously could have never lived in that location...I remember oddly rationalizing this continuity with Dr. Lector’s disposable income and aesthetic :cool::oops::D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just watched "Unlocked" last night.
MV5BOTgwNjliMWMtZDA1MS00ZjgyLTg5OWMtY2I0ODk1OWE5YTMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Wal-Mart Ficus.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen literally dozens of scenes on movies and more so on series shows that briefly showed a bonsai. But I have not seen this elaborate one shown.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Movie “The Meg” has a crazy awesome Japanese maple in a pot. It’s big for a bonsai, probably 3’ plus. Let me see if I can find an image

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yowza :D
good things good things

ok, I will not rewatch the series Hannibal I used to fall asleep to (great dreams right!??) but it was slow enough to sleep..and that joker often had a tree by the window in his office, it changed too...usually or always it seriously could have never lived in that location...I remember oddly rationalizing this continuity with Dr. Lector’s disposable income and aesthetic :cool::oops::D

Hannibal probably has some Japanese nursery man chained up on a farm somewhere maintaining a garden full of trees. When each tree dies due to lack of light in his office, he brings it back to the Gardener and lights it on fire in front of him.

Top Bottom