trees spawning new leaves in autumn

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

i've had some serious issues with trees losing leaves in August due to a worthless buddy who failed to water them. However, all trees are getting new leaves now.

I am worried about one in particular: an ulmus parvifolia who has been without leaves during the months august and september, and I almost added it to my unintentional kill list, but it is now getting buds & very tiny new leaves. What can I do to protect this one? Is it an option to get him inside during winter months? Is it using its precious reserves to make new leaves at a moment trees should go dormant? Anyone experience with trees pushing new leaves in september / october (and how to deal with it)?

Tnx in advance.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's using next year's buds, but don't interfere with it. Sink the pot in the ground and mulch it with leaves. Fertilize it when you see buds expanding next March or April. Don't remove it from the ground next spring until it has leafed out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve been told that autumn has similar things happen that spring, so some plants may push new growth

I have a few things pushing a little new growth: mulberry, boxwood, bougainvillea, and some cheesewood

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tnx 4 the replies folks. So no need to worry at all? I just need to protect them from frost by putting them in my shed when temperature drops below 0° C, or by putting them in the ground with mulch as Forsoothe suggests?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's using next year's buds, but don't interfere with it. Sink the pot in the ground and mulch it with leaves. Fertilize it when you see buds expanding next March or April. Don't remove it from the ground next spring until it has leafed out.
THIS^^^^

Top Bottom