Trees suitable for development in colander pot

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey! What tree species are you successfully developing in colander pots? I know pines love it. Are there any other species that speed up growing with using colanders? I bought 20pc for my pines and wonder if I could use them for other trees too.

My pinus silvestris before/after wiring

Attachments

• 5B86F0B5-C58A-4826-98AE-C71D4936EC18.jpeg
    5B86F0B5-C58A-4826-98AE-C71D4936EC18.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 34
  • 19BF9D8C-B809-4B8E-B72E-762D6CC3C674.jpeg
    19BF9D8C-B809-4B8E-B72E-762D6CC3C674.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 35

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a lot of trees in pond baskets (like in your photo). I wouldn't say that putting them in those baskets speeds up growth, per se, as much as they reduce risk of root rot associated with over-watering, and they keep the tree from developing bad roots that often are the result of trying to grow trees in plastic nursery pots. If I REALLY want to speed up growth, I put trees in the ground. However not everyone has ground space to plant trees in for several years. In my case, I have had to move a couple of times in the last few years, which has prevented me from ground growing.

I have come to believe that a better alternative to using large pond baskets is to use Anderson flats. They are much larger, are shallower and flatter, and trees will grow much larger than if you kept them in a pond basket. I have some trees that have grown over 8' tall in an Anderson flat.

anderson.jpg

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have two spruce, a giant sequoia, and an Oregon Myrtle in find baskets, they are seem pretty happy.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i think colanders are mainly for coniferous trees, like pines and junipers which don't like heavy root pruning, so we use colanders to naturally create a tight compact root ball

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Like said above, the pond baskets and such really help fir a finer mat of roots, as they are air pruned at the edge instead of circling the pot.

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So nobody use them as better option for deciduous species? Like beech, maples, etc? I will try them with my other coniferous trees like spruces, firs.. 👍

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So nobody use them as better option for deciduous species? Like beech, maples, etc? I will try them with my other coniferous trees like spruces, firs.. 👍
I use them a lot for smaller trees - and particularly for cuttings and seedlings that are small. I usually start with four-six small individuals per pond basket for a year, then upgrade them to one per basket for a year or two, and then move them to a flat.

Glancing out at my garden, I have a fair number of deciduous in pond baskets.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a lot of trees in pond baskets (like in your photo). I wouldn't say that putting them in those baskets speeds up growth, per se, as much as they reduce risk of root rot associated with over-watering, and they keep the tree from developing bad roots that often are the result of trying to grow trees in plastic nursery pots. If I REALLY want to speed up growth, I put trees in the ground. However not everyone has ground space to plant trees in for several years. In my case, I have had to move a couple of times in the last few years, which has prevented me from ground growing.

I have come to believe that a better alternative to using large pond baskets is to use Anderson flats. They are much larger, are shallower and flatter, and trees will grow much larger than if you kept them in a pond basket. I have some trees that have grown over 8' tall in an Anderson flat.

View attachment 461370
Anderson Flats have a big advantage over pond baskets--no holes on the sides.

I've had trees suffer before because no matter how much I watered, all the water was flowing out the sides of the basket rather than through the root ball. I've actually given up on them entirely for that reason. The plain Jane nursery pots are in contrast perfect for drawing water and air through a root ball.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had trees suffer before because no matter how much I watered, all the water was flowing out the sides of the basket rather than through the root ball.
Yes I have experienced this as well. Usually a function of when I am late repotting :) But still, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Top Bottom