Trees to look out for at a bonsai specific nursery?

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been given the opportunity to visit a full-on bonsai nursery this weekend, a nursery that is around 5 hours away, so I plan on reaping what I can from this trip. I am looking to find some special bonsai species and features I normally can't get from a typical garden centre.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what to look for (species/feature wise) or the best things I should get before I go? For example, getting species like shimpaku, finding trees with good nebari since they have been trained as bonsai, or getting proper bonsai soil and pots is some things I plan on doing. I don't want to leave with regret because I forgot to buy some tool/hard to find species that only found in a bonsai nursery! :p

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can prepare a wish list but you are likely to change it all when you get there. My advice is not to overthink it. You will know what to get when you see it. Ask plenty of questions.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are in Canada, so...I would really focus on what is in your capability to winter. Be it outdoors and needs dormancy, or a tropical that needs grow lights. That's how I judge every species that comes onto my bench. Us northern peeps...need to really understand what we are capable of offering for winter protection...or indoor tropical set up... But, I'm mostly drawn to the overall characteristics of a tree. Verses a species. I've only searched for the chunky monkey tigerbark I have as diligently for such a chunky base...the rest...falls under style, or characteristics that appeal to me. I'm drawn to neagari/exposed root. I also find feminine looking trees with nice movement appeal to me. I'm also drawn to controversial trees that make one ponder...like my exposed root olive. But...end of the day...being able to keep it happy and healthy year long. Is what I factor in. Have fun! Share with us what you bring home. (Bones of a tree with movement, taper, character...is worth building a canopy if it is lacking.)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would look for specific cultivars that made it into bonsai.
I know the Japanese are secretly growing pines with striped needles and other variegated cultivars that traditionally are considered to be topiaries/novelties. In five to ten years, they'll be up at national shows and I predict it's going to rock the foundation of traditional bonsai a tiny bit. Someone will disagree with me for sure and tell me I'm wrong. I'd love to be reminded in five to ten years if I was.

Most shimpaku junipers are easily rooted as cuttings, so a kishu or itoigawa will usually pay itself back in a couple of years if you just put your clippings in some sphagnum moss.

A good concave cutter is always nice to have. Cut paste too. Cheap pots are always handy.

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Feels like Christmas being able to go to this nursery lol

I will look around and see what is most aesthetically pleasing! But I just want to make sure I don't miss out on anything that I should really be looking for in bonsai if it doesn't look so great right away. For example, I was told to actually get trees like JBP and maples because they're not grafted on, like most typical trees at garden centres. This is not something I would realize off the bat.

You are in Canada, so...I would really focus on what is in your capability to winter.

Sounds good! I was hoping to snatch something cold-hardy like a larch.

Cut paste too.

Almost forgot to get this, thank you! Maybe there will be some bizarre cultivars that will catch my eye. We'll see!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been given the opportunity to visit a full-on bonsai nursery this weekend, a nursery that is around 5 hours away, so I plan on reaping what I can from this trip. I am looking to find some special bonsai species and features I normally can't get from a typical garden centre.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what to look for (species/feature wise) or the best things I should get before I go? For example, getting species like shimpaku, finding trees with good nebari since they have been trained as bonsai, or getting proper bonsai soil and pots is some things I plan on doing. I don't want to leave with regret because I forgot to buy some tool/hard to find species that only found in a bonsai nursery! :p
My approach would be as follows.
Limit to species I am interested in that are suitable for my climate.
Do not buy one unless it has acceptable roots and trunk.
Reasonable spread of roots, movement and taper in trunk .
A quality pre bonsai should also have some primary branches developed in suitable locations.
Find out when it was last repotted and carefully check the overall health!
Avoid grafted material unless you know it is very well done or can be air layered. ( example white pine on very low or root type graft.)
Go for the best quality rather than the largest size.
Be prepared to go home without material if the quality is not apparent.

That being said I will often purchase a healthy tree with obviously poor development for propagation material if it is a type difficult to obtain.
Certain cultivars of Azalea, White Pine, Red Pine, Prunus Mume, Chojubai, Hornbeam, Beech.
This is personal choice and should be restricted to types that you wish to work with! I avoid trees that require way to much pruning for the result! Once again personal choice.

One other consideration or exception are the slow growing species, where it would be beneficial to start with an older more advanced tree due to ones age! Factor for me perhaps not for you! ( Kingsville Boxwood )

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Remember.
Good trees aren’t cheap.
Cheap trees aren’t good.
As a rule this is especially true at a bonsai nursery.

IABonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m confused. Get Black Pines because they aren’t grafted on? I don’t even really want to attempt to own a White Pine that isn’t grafted on Black Pine roots.

And Maples are constantly grafted. Especially red maples.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pots and tools are generally available on-line for less than they would be at a shop. Look at them, make note of the styles you like, but buy them on-line later. If they have soil as in akadama and pumice and lava, buy it there as shipping adds significantly to the cost when buying on line.

As for trees, make sure they’re suited for your climate. You may want to spring for a “nicer” tree that’s farther along than “pre-bonsai”. Then, study up on it’s care before you do anything to it.

When I go shopping for a tree, I don’t go in looking for anything specific. For example, I don’t go in thinking I want to buy a JBP. I buy the best material I can afford that’s suitable for my growing conditions. As an example, I have full sun, so it wouldn’t be smart for me to buy something that needs a lot of shade.

Have fun!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are in Canada, so...I would really focus on what is in your capability to winter. Be it outdoors and needs dormancy, or a tropical that needs grow lights.

This.....you can grow what ever you like, provided you supply the proper quarters.

If they have soil as in akadama and pumice and lava, buy it there as shipping adds significantly to the cost when buying on line.

Oh yes, never enough good soil to hand. Although being in Canada, the cost to the nursery to import is gonna hit YOUR wallet, just a bit muted as opposed to a $50 shipping fee.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not everything has to be bought on-line....support your local shop!! 😉 :D :D :D 😷
I agree. But since this is apparently a rare occasion for the OP, to maximize his opportunity to get something “special”, I think it would be better for him to buy plant material rather than something that’s pretty “generic”, like a tool.

Antique pots are not “generic”, by the way. Lol!!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wish I still had one. The only one near me, closed last year. 😢
I try to support my local bonsai shop. I teach classes there 3 or 4 times per year. They specialize in 30 year old procumbens junipers. I don’t like Procumbens, but I do what I can to help them stay in business.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m confused. Get Black Pines because they aren’t grafted on? I don’t even really want to attempt to own a White Pine that isn’t grafted on Black Pine roots.

And Maples are constantly grafted. Especially red maples.
Not so much at a bonsai specific nursery, but yes at a garden center.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Although being in Canada, the cost to the nursery to import is gonna hit YOUR wallet, just a bit muted as opposed to a $50 shipping fee.
The import duties are six of one and half a dozen of the other when importing to North America, whether it is Canada or USA. If I purchase in the States at a lower cost, then there is shipping, customs and state tax. Also the exchange rate! If I buy from the local supply ( assuming there is one nearby) the cost can often be less.
Shipping costs have skyrocketed in the past few years!
The sticking point is finding a nursery that is willing to do the paperwork and invest in a container to make it worthwhile. Purchasing ahead of time to allow for sea shipping and having their cash tied up for extended periods of time. Unless there is enough local support to create constant turnover it can be difficult to make a profit. Economy of scale dictates yearly shipments of considerable size and value!
And then there is the import regulations to be met, with the risk the shipment can be denied entry if all requirements are not met! I suppose we should be grateful that it is not subject to trade war duties;).

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pots and tools are generally available on-line for less than they would be at a shop. Look at them, make note of the styles you like, but buy them on-line later.
This is not necessarily true for us here in Canada. We have less than a handful of good online stores and the Canadian Amazon is much more limited than the US version. The exchange rate, shipping and duties when ordering from the states are usually prohibitive. I have found some tools, cheap pots and wire on Amazon.ca but often the same deals I get once are gone the next time I look. My feeling is if you see supplies you want or need - just get them!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is not necessarily true for us here in Canada. We have less than a handful of good online stores and the Canadian Amazon is much more limited than the US version. The exchange rate, shipping and duties when ordering from the states are usually prohibitive. I have found some tools, cheap pots and wire on Amazon.ca but often the same deals I get once are gone the next time I look. My feeling is if you see supplies you want or need - just get them!

Sorry, I didn’t take all that into account. None of that applies to me.

Regardless, I hope you have fun shopping!

Top Bottom