trees too heavy

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I had this wheel barrel that served me well for years. But it was getting rusty and the barrel got a large tear from too much flexing which reduced its usefulness considerably. So I bought a new one just like it. That was some time ago. Much to my wife’s vexation I didn’t throw the old one away. That is a fault of mine. I never throw anything away. Then, a little while ago I saw a 12 volt winch at a garage sale. I bought it for $10. Again my wife wondered what possible need we had for that.

The need for that winch struck me when I first laid eyes it. I have a couple of trees that I stopped taking to shows because I can no longer get them in and out of the van without help. (That is an age issue. - my age, not the trees.) But the real motivator was the trouble I had getting them to their winter protection last year. I decided I would make a bonsai fork lift from the old wheel barrel and that winch.

So I bought some pressure treated 2x4, a sheet of PT plywood, and went to work. I took the old wheel barrel apart, wire brushed all the rust off, repainted it and put the frame back together. I built a lift bucket from the plywood. I built a frame for the lift from the 2x4 and mounted it on the wheel barrel frame. Then I added some garage door tracks and rollers for the bucket to ride up and down on. Here is the result.

bonsailift 1.jpg bonsailift 2.jpg bonsailift 3.jpg

It is over built - I lifted about a hundred pounds of cement blocks as a test with no problem. But there wouldn’t be much saving from going lighter. It cost me less than $200 - not including the wheel barrel. I probably have about 25 hours in it though, which is a considerable investment of time. A lot of that is probably due to the fact that I am an amateur when it comes to this kind of project.

The lift bucket goes from the ground to a few inches higher than my highest bench. The two-wheel design of the wheel barrel and the balloon tires make it easy to move the thing, loaded, across the yard, to and from the van and to and from my winter storage area. I am pleased with it although it isn’t beautiful. My wife’s take. “Where are you going to store that thing the 99.99 % of the time you aren’t using it?”

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice work, it should help you a lot.
Jamie

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool.....very creative mind you have. The plan came together...well executed. Yeah... Good point on the storage.

SGF

Seedling
Reaction score
Sweet! I love it, as I too am getting older and finding it harder too move my biggest trees. You need to come up with a catchy name before you patent it, like Bonsai Buddy, or Bonsai Butler. Don't worry about the man hours, once a foreign country starts making the knock offs with 14 year olds and robots the retail price will be under $100. And as to the 99.9% of when you are not using it, buy a paint by numbers set, hang the canvas on the back and tell your spouse you have taken up painting and it is your auto easel.

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
Nice!
One question though, in its resting position I notice the bucket is perpendicular to the ground. How far does the bucket tilt forward when you lift from the handles to move it?

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice!
One question though, in its resting position I notice the bucket is perpendicular to the ground. How far does the bucket tilt forward when you lift from the handles to move it?

That is an excellent observation. I wanted the bucket to rest flat on the ground when fully down, but if I were to do it again, I would probably have it tilt back a little. As it is, things don't slide in the normal walking position. I haven't used it enough to know if that would ever be an issue. I could put a rim on the front edge of the bucket if needed I suppose.

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
I was just thinking that if you hot a dip in the yard everything would tip forward.
You might consider a wedge to put behind the bucket that would push the bottom out so it is at an angle during transport.

Top Bottom